Chasing Monarch for compensation

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Those with long memories may remember how I was bumped off a Monarch charter flight to Grenoble in early 2013. To cut a long story short, the aircraft had a cracked windscreen, and after a long (four hour) delay, passengers were filtered onto two smaller Airbus aircraft, the selection for who got the first flight being down to those who went to get their £5 meal vouchers for the delay.

Yours truly had a lounge pass, so didn’t bother. And had to sit and wait for the second aircraft.

At the time, dear old Monarch miraculously escalated a cracked windscreen to one that had “shattered in flight”. I recall someone here revealing that no, it was just a cracked screen, and they didn’t have a replacement at LGW.

Needless to say, Monarch decided that this constituted ‘extraordinary circumstances’ and they didn’t have to cough.

Anyway, a firm of ambulance-chasing lawyers got nowhere with Monarch who just ignored correspondence, so a second team has been sent in to bat. The interesting first riposte from Monarch is that they had no record of my travelling with them.

How long to airlines have to keep passenger rosters? Does anyone know? Anyway, copies of the relevant booking details have been supplied, so we’ll see what transpire.

Watch this space.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I am still chasing Monarch after a 6 hour delay x 4 passengers going back 4 years!
    I used Refund.me who have finally given up as it seems Monarch completely ignored them.

Initially, I pursued them myself and got a letter telling me it was a mechanical fault and therefore, not their responsibility.

I expected better of Refund. Me but they suddenly decided not to continue without any explanation to me.

Any suggestions?

Don’t want to give up on this….its principle.

superchris
    Participant

in the interests of balance, I had what I would consider to be my best ever customer service experience with an airline, with Monarch only this year.

On a flight back from Menorca, I spotted, whilst loaded my childs car seat in the car, that the isofix attacher click was bent and therefore wouldnt slot into the car. As I only noticed this at the car park, and the seat would also secure via a seatbelt, I thought it best to report it when I got home.

My wife made the call and after just one phone call explaining the issue, the model number and the damage they accepted the claim as genuine, and within about 3 days I had a brand new car seat delivered to the house.

It doesnt help the situation with you in Grenoble but just wanted to report that (from time to time), they can get things very right.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Interesting. What annoys me is being lied to – and incompetently, at that. The windscreen that “shattered in flight” is a perfect example.

ontherunhome
    Participant

If you have tried dealing with them and have had no success, maybe a small claims court action, issued on line will do the trick. There is now plenty of case law, to quote. Then if they ignore a court paper, they will lose by default, and have to pay or you can send the bailiffs in.

Also have a look here, for some advice.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

I have an outstanding claim against Norwegian, but as they don’t have aUK operational address, ( until today), i have complained to CAA, who can also open a case for you.

Don’t give up as they want you too. Airlines that treat customers like this, don’t deserve customers.

SimonS1
    Participant

Just get a court judgement and send in the Sheriffs. It costs £60 for the latter and the cost get paid by the airline.

There is a BBC programme where they sometimes firlm these cases, in recent weeks Easyjet and Jet2.com have both featured.

TravelWise
    Participant

Shame on Monarch!

I agree with SimonS1, take them to court using the small claims procedure. They are often settled before they get to court or often go undefended, so you win outright. Be careful as the fees have increased if you lose but read all the steps on Moneysavingexpert. You can even fill in the forms and apply on line now, so it can be really easy.

I suggest you start now though, as the event has to have happened in the past 6 years (5 in Scotland), so time is running out. The procedure is easy but may not be quick.

Good luck and don’t give up (apart from giving up flying Monarch, of course).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls