Chaos at T5…now

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 159 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

I was able to get home on Friday, and I did so aboard a BA aircraft.

Alasdair, as you well know most (not all) of these Volunteer Cabin Crew are performing recency from Gatwick, which has only been marginally affected by the snow.

The decision BA took to stop the flying programme exLHR on Saturday has minimised the numbers of crew and passengers stranded downroute.

Most issues will be caused by people not being able to get into work themselves because of their own issues with the snow, and are absolutely nothing to do with BA’s successful Volunteer Cabin Crew, who recognise the damage BASSA has inflicted on the company they work for, and are doing their bit to ensure its future success. VCC have nothing whatsoever to do with the issues unfolding at LHR.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Vintage Krug – go to Heathrow and see for your self. My post is not only factual, I will gladly go and video it if you wish as long as you tell me how to post a video on here.

There are plenty of BA and BAA volunteer staff in T5, all carrying clipboards and reams of computerised data. Ask them anything that needs more that which Q should I join and they are lost. By their own admission, they have only been drafted in to help, but have not been briefed. Terminals 1 & 3 are near to bursting point.

The cause of this is not because people cant get into work. The Captain I spoke to at Heathrow last night said he had managed to get into the airport from the Isle of Man.

This is a weather induced problem solely compounded by pure and utter incompetence – by who…………….does it really matter right now, I like 1000’s of others would just like to get back together with their families…..

Alasdair
    Participant

Myself, and many including Martyn would tend to disagree with that.

Miami has departed the previous 2 days, isn’t that one of the flights from LHR? BA would be short of personnel in many areas who were unable to make it into work, but don’t you think that if these VCC as you say were to perform their ground duties instead of preparing to pre-empt strike action customers like ourselves would be better served?

Hippocampus
    Participant

Alasdair, Do you have numbers to back this up, or is this just BASSA members whipping each other up into a frenzy on their own forums? And I thought the line from BASSA was that all VCC were pilots or Waterside staff who were forced to volunteer?!

I also note elsewhere some BASSA members are complaining about BA “imposing” the disruption agreement, which gives the airline more flexibility during disruption. Given BASSA’s notorious inflexibility during previous disruption at LHR it really is a bit rich any BASSA supporter criticising the airline’s approach to handling disruption.

VintageKrug
    Participant

There are – at a maximum – 3-4 thousand VCC. It is probably more like 2,000. There is no way “100s” would be performing recency on any one day.

Becuase of the antipathy legacy crew have been exhibiting towards these volunteers, most have been rostered exLGW for recency. LGW (not run by BAA) was only marginally affected by the recent snow, and so therefore it is doubly improbable that there is any impact at all on LHR operations as result of this initiative.

Perhaps the solution is for BASSA to stop disrupting BA operations, recognise that it is BA Management which runs BA and not the Union?

Doing so would eliminate the need for VCC.

Need we be reminded of BASSA’s response to a similar snow incident in January this year:

—————

VintageKrug – 07/01/2010 01:19 GMT

More evidence of BASSA militancy, this sourced from another website but communicated via email to BASSA (BA Stewards and Stewardesses Association) employees:

————- Originally Posted by BASSA:

During this period of disruption due to the heavy snow and related transport chaos, it is paramount that all crew adhere to our respective agreements that we normally work to, i.e. World Wide Agreement, Euro fleet Agreement and the MOA at Gatwick.

If you are in any doubt whether you are being asked to work outside of your agreement please call BASSA. We have 24 hour coverage.

Thank you. ————–

Rebekah1989
    Participant

I’m in Canada now, supposed to fly out tomorrow night to Heathrow (arrive 22nd morning). i was just wondering what the situation is like on the ground right now… what are the chances i’ll actually arrive!?

Alasdair
    Participant

In another post it was stated that VCC were from all over BA. This is not a forum regarding the BASSA, or at least I thought. It is about getting as many hands on deck during these bleak times for passengers.

All crew who are able to report for work should do just that, and all others in the company should provide their services also.

skychai
    Participant

Did BASSA militant dysfunctional crew arrange for the snow? I think they did. It is believed that this militant lot on a recent Entebbe nightstop, arranged for a shamen to pray for snow at Heathrow over the Christmas period, cheaper than Unite balloting for strikes ( apparently )

As for Volunteer Cabin Crew flying from Gatwick, I’m sure some have. Some have also flown from Heathrow to keep their 747 licences in recency. As you know, the 747 only flies from Heathrow.

How can BA be sending these people out on recency flights when snow and possible disruption was forecast a week in advance? BA is begging for volunteers to assist in T5 today, shame that they have so many ground staff, dispatchers and Ramp workers away on ‘Volunteer’ recency flights, and not working in their designated roles at the airport.

Who is suffering through this BAA / BA fiasco? The poor customer, as usual.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

This is how it should be done; before anyone says Air Malta is a small airline, please remember they have very few resources – but still manage to communicate effectively and have a rescue plan in place for London bound pax.

http://www.airmalta.com/newsdetails?l=1&n=343

Hippocampus
    Participant

This thread is indeed not about BASSA so enough of the feeble attempts at faux outrage based on hearsay and conjecture.

Rebekah1989
    Participant

this thread is about “chaos at t5… now” if i’m not mistaken
    can someone tell me are any flights going in or out? what are the chances that it’ll be ok tomorrow?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I was wondering why suddenly this thread is discussing VCC and BASSA and not the misery faced by the very unfortunately travellers.

At least the UK Government has taken the step to allow a 24-hour operation to relief the travel backlog.

Hope these desparate passengers will be able to get to where they set out for SOON!

skychai
    Participant

I was simply pointing out that BA has vital Heathrow Airport workers away from their posts at Heathrow as they are keeping their flying licenses in recency. I’m sure this has had an impact on the customer service, or lack off, received at chaotic T5 in these past few days.

FCTraveller
    Participant

Rebekah, LHR will be operating at one third of capacity again tomorrow. You’re in Canada and I’m trying to get to Canada. Today only BA93 is operating, BA99 is not. According to BA website, same situation tomorrow, one of two flights operating to/from YYZ. No flight to Montreal today or tomorrow. So your chances depend on where you’re flying from. Good luck, you’ll need it.

Rebekah1989
    Participant

I’m flying from Montreal… My entire family is in Switzerland, I haven’t seen them in over a year. I’m not flying with BA, but with Air Canada, and my flight hasn’t been officially canceled so I can’t try to make alternative arrangements and they can’t put me on another flight until mine is canceled.

Also, all flights are full to many places until after Christmas, especially to Switzerland. I’m hoping once things are finalized (canceled, delayed etc) I can try and get them to switch me to a plane in an area where the airports are functioning, like Rome, Barcelona, Helsinki, anywhere.

Quite frankly, I’m amazed. Montreal gets MUCH MORE snow than what the UK has right now, and in recent memory the airport has never shut down because of snowy conditions here. And of course, to make matters worse, no one is giving anyone any information – I have to wait until 2 hours or so before my flight tomorrow to know what to do.

Thank you, FCTraveller, for letting me know what’s going on 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 159 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls