Changing onto an earlier flight home

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

MontanaKen

I had a similar experience with BA last year, on a CDG-LHR-RUH routing, also in restricted business.

BA sent me a message saying that the French ATC (and others) had announced industrial action for that day and delays were expected.

I was on a reasonably tight connection and called the BA Exec Club to have the same conversation as you, with similar results initially.

By the end of the call, I was getting so frustrated with the ‘computer says no’ responses of the duty manager, that I summarised by saying “So let me recap, your company sent me a message to alert me that industrial action may occur and delay my flight causing me to miss the connection, now you are saying that you will not change the flight to the flight before, on which you have capacity, but that BA will pay overnight costs and re-routing costs on Star Alliance the next day if I miss the flight. Please will you explain to me how that is a valid business decision?”

There was a long pause and then, with some huffing and puffing about trying to help me (face saving) I was transferred to the earlier flight.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Dutchyankee, you’ve now discovered the difference between the easy going Swiss French and the hard nosed Zurich people. I’ve so often found at Zurich that almost everyone is helpful except for the Zurich ones who insist on doing everything by the book.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

One further “secret” I use.

With calls to the states often included in your tariff – keep the USA call centre number handy. When you have a similar problem call the USA ticket office. If you get through (oppose to being routed back to the UK) you will generally, but not always, find our American cousins more willing to find a work round.

The faces of ticket agents who 5 minutes earlier have refused, only for you to go back with a valid change, its just a picture!

As DS says above, the agents may huff and puff, but anything is possible. There is a big difference to “its not possible” to “the computer wont let me”.

Cwyfan
    Participant

I have found myself on a number of occasions returning from Aberdeen to Heathrow with the potential of an earlier flight. Every time BA allowed me to take it, without charge. Sometimes they even suggested it at check in or when I reached the lounge

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

@kmcotrell

Were you travelling on a flexible ticket?

Cwyfan
    Participant

I think not, as I was always trying to keep costs down, but maybe they were trying to free up the later flight, that tended to be fuller, so it suited them, as much as me

Capetonian
    Participant

Craigwatson has really nailed the problem down correctly and concisely. In my past, I’ve worked at airport ticket counters, check-in, and in revenue managment. I’ve heard all the arguments both from the company’s side and from the passengers’ side. There is always a conflict of interests and therefore no ‘right’ answer for all parties.

I used my discretion and most of the time I would give away a seat when I saw little prospect of it being sold, specially if later flights were heavily booked, which typically would be the case as the business passenger arriving at say, 1600, would often release a seat on a later and busier flight.

It is of course open to abuse, it sets a precedent, and there are many reasons why rules should not be broken. There are just as many why they should be broken!

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls