Changes in BA Business class

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• DavidSmith2
    Participant

Just booked to fly from Accra to London at the beginning of July, with a sense of optimism that it might actually happen. That will be my third flight in around 18 months – all Accra-London, all BA, but I’m expecting my 3rd tyoe of aircraft. 18 months ago it was the trusty 747 – upstairs in 42K. Next, last December, it was the A350 with the new ‘private’ cabin but minimal in-flight service. This time it should be a 777 (200 I assume), although no idea whether refurbished or not.

There was a threat to send the Accra flight in to Gatwick but that decision has been reversed so it is now going into T5 (rather than T3 as before).

So plenty of unknowns (for me) – latest Club World Catering? 777 furniture & IFE? and T5 in the COVID era.

Any advice gratefully received about what to expect!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I have just flown from Gatwick in Club World on a B777-200.

Flight review: British Airways B777-200 Club World

It had the old Club World seat but new Panasonic IFE…. catering was pretty good, I thought.

5 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1097435]

A review almost tailor-made for me – thanks Tom!

I think the last time I few BA Club World in a 777 was to Cancun, about 3 years ago, so looks like I am in for a similar experience, just with masks!

My flight is only around 6 hours and it’s overnight, so I don’t plan on doing any work – just a film, dinner, a couple of glasses of wine, cheese & port, then sleep til Heathrow, so it all sounds quite bearable.

Just hope that the queues at T5 at 6am are not too bad.

Cheers!

3 users thanked author for this post.

PatJordan
    Participant

Great review Tom.

Very sad to see the airport so quiet, it must have been a surreal experience. It’s surprising that there was no Lounge access as I regularly receive emails from third party lounges offering their services and their Covid policies. A £30 voucher for food & drink is a decent alternative.

The on board food looked very nice and it’s reassuring to see a good level of service in place.

Hope you have a safe trip back Tom.

p.s. My mischievous side is wondering if you managed to get a cup of tea between your meals???

4 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you.
    No tea on that trip, though I did have some coffee…!
    I hope we all stay safe as well.
    I had a test before leaving, another on arrival, I’m having a third tomorrow, a fourth before flying home, and then two more after coming home as I do quarantine at home with the test and release programme with Qured.
    It’s a very odd world at the moment.
    Best wishes, Tom

STORMIN'
    Participant

G-VIIO was the aircraft involved in the aborted take-off and subsequent fire at Las Vegas, I believe, which was said to be an economic write-off but repaired nonetheless. Just saying…!

2 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Amazingly my plan to come to London has remained on track. So I now fly tomorrow night on a BA 777. Tom’s review of his flight to Cancun was really helpful to prepare for what to expect, and I am not aware of any newer reviews and certainly no better. But if anyone does have any further tips on long-haul business in recent weeks and/or on arriving at T5 on a very early flight (05.50), please do not hesitate to share.

Otherwise I’ll update you over the weekend on how it went.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Well I made it from Accra to London, and back.

Accra-London I was business on an old 777-200 and it was pretty dire. Flight was 90 mins late so it was around 23.30 when we left. Check in was fine and boarding was smooth enough. But on board it was disappointing. No pre-meal drinks service. 2 choices of hot main meal – eventually served around 00.30. So memorable I can’t remember anything except the plastic cheese. IFE was a very insensitive, small and low definition touch screen, arm rest was broken and the person in front clambered over my legs 3 times in a 6.5 hour flight. Heathrow arrivals wasn’t too bad. we were directed to the e-gates but around half of us were not allowed through and had to go to a desk for manual checking. total time was around 45 mins (queuing and processing). so not outrageous.

London-Accra I was in WTP but the plane was switched to an A350. check in in the business area was quick and boarding was smooth. Half-hour late departing but on-time arrival. this was an afternoon/early evening flight. Full pre-dinner drinks service offered including spirits. Hot meal was sausage and mash of which the only tasty bit was the gravy, but it was edible. IFE was high definition, similar size screen to the 777 business class and very responsive. Drink service continued throughout and then a chicken caesar sandwich before arrival. Accra airport was slow but that is because you have an on-arrival COVID test first, then you wait ages for bags (as always), but not really any worse than pre-COVID.

So, all in all, it wasnt really a pleasure but I got to London and I got back. And, to some extent, WTP on the 350 is better than CW on the 777. Certainly service was better. I plan to do it all over again in September/October.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls