Cathay to resume flights to South Africa

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

The airline will resume flights to Johannesburg at the end of July with Airbus A350-900.
    To start the reopening flights will be 3 times a week in both directions. The also popular Cape Town route is unlikely to restart until 2024 according to local HK reports.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SenatorGold
    Participant

This is very good news. I recall that the Cape Town flight was seasonal only, in the South African summer.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Tickets have been on sale for the route for several months already, I booked my ticket in February to fly to JNB later this year, and happily pricing was not all that different from how it was pre covid.

cwoodward
    Participant

I saw it being strongly promoted on Cathay’s Australian web site for some months.

There is now a large South African population in AU and NZ.
    Mostly professionals who have progressively left SA over the past twenty years. Sad in its way but the many doctors and dentists (and rugby players) received a warm welcome and most have made a very good life for themselves.
    Qantas is of course flying again to SA and the rumoured SAA restart to Perth will be warmly welcomed.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

As forecast Cathay restarted direct flights to South Africa yesterday with the first flight for almost 3 years to Johannesburg using a A350 -900. For the near future there will be 3 flights per week returning to daily in 2024. The popular Cape town is due to restart in December with 3 flights per week on the Airbus A350.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls