Cathay Pacific – Premium Economy – is it worth it?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• KSHaggag
    Participant

An advice to all PE fellow travellers seekers ….you want a decent PE for a small surcharge ,go for TK ( Turkish Airlines ) ..it challenges ANY PREMIUM ECO product in the sky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…the only drawback is that it is limited to only the B777-300ER serving 10 destinations from IST …HKG,NRT,PVG,BJS,SAO,JFK,LAX,YYZ,ICN…..It is indeed the business class of the early nineties ..46 inches of legroom …find me another carrier offering 46in seat pitch in PE …the average is 38inch ….they all claim it is spacious but it is not !!!!..46 is indeed …the catering is very much upgraded over Eco ….the comfort top notch for a PE product..IFE easy to use and surfe and big screen ,,..amenity kit ,slippers ,etc………………i was impressed and will always seek it when I need to indulge but cannot afford J ………..The feeder /defeeder connection to/from IST is of course in Eco ,but frankly very often TK is deploying the longhaul a/c A333,332,773-ER on many main european points e.g. LHR,CDG,FRA,AMS ,BCN………….go for it !!….if u are a Star Alliance Gold u are sure to secure some generous status miles and gain lounge access too while flying Premium Eco ……..a real treat …isn t this a deal ???? ..am not syphooning off CX passengers to TK but just highlighting the good PE s around ….i wanna try CX PE product ….I am a CX lover ….

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Yes the TK does sound and look good however as others on this forum have testified in the past there are some questionable safety concerns when flying Turkish.

Also if you’re a BA Executive Club member, you can ear Tier Points and a 25% Avios bonus every time you fly World Traveller Plus.

Edit

On board with BA WTP you will get a complimentary newspaper, cushion, blanket and amenity kit including earplugs, toothbrush, toothpaste, flight socks, and eye mask.

KSHaggag
    Participant

It is purely up to your loyalty concerns ..if u are an exec Club member and building loyalty with OW ,then stick to BA however their PE product is not as good and value for money as the TKs …this is a very specific point where TK surpasses and beats its rivals head and shoulders above the pack ,however its competitors do better on other features beyond the scope of this thread ..I do agree fully !!!…

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I tried the PE once from SYD-HKG for a couple of hours at meal-time when I bumped into a business associate who was travelling in this cabin and the chief purser (one of my regulars) knew I was investigating this new product.

True you will not find a dedicated toilet, however I found it very good WHEN comparing it as an enhanced ECONOMY CLASS product against regular Economy Class travels.

Given the CALMER cabin, better leg-room and seating, more amenities and less crowded environment in general PLUS a promise of a very extensive long-haul network coverage from CX. One can’t fault this new travel product especially the ticket price is quite affordable.

We should compare apple with apple (non-stop long-haul flights with convenient schedules in a premium airline) instead of comparing this CX PE product with some discounted BIZ products via some second/third tier airlines.

Speed and reliability IS very important to BIZ travellers. Leisure travellers are more likely to benefit better fare pricing with longer travelling times.

CX has reported a very favourable customer response from many of their travellers and is getting more bookings in this new class.

In essence it is a good choice for self-finance travellers to get increased comfort without straining their wallets!

Enjoy your travels!!

andystock
    Participant

I booked into BA PE on a return leg from Dubai to London as it was only £80 plus I earned extra 1000 avios points. Then playing around on manage my booking I upgraded to club world for £43 + 10000 avios points. So BA PE was worth it for the cheap upgrade to club world.

JPHK1878
    Participant

Dear All,

Just thought I’d update you on my experience and those of colleagues who have flown CX Premium Economy.

THE SEAT
    Yes it is slightly wider than economy. It does recline, rather than the current slide forward of the economy bucket/shell seats. The cushioning of the seat is comfortable and I found the headrest to be very good. However if you’re taller you may struggle with this.
    There is no leg rest! That is only for the front row. All you get is a foot rest. Again worked okay for me as I’m only 5′ 4″ but was hated by taller travellers.

THE SPACE
    There is more space between seats than in Economy. However it isn’t enough to allow the person on the inside seat to get out without moving the person on the aisle.

THE FACILITIES
    There is a dedicated washroom on the 77W and on the 747 when traveling to and from London. On the flights to the US both colleagues on separate flights also had dedicated washrooms.

THE SERVICE
    Is poor. You may as well be in Economy.
    You’re meant to have priority baggage – waste of time. On my journey my bag was one of the last to come off. Same experience for colleague and spouse on separate journeys.
    The website claims you’ll be welcomed with a glass of champagne when you get on board – never happened.
    The food is economy food, economy service, plastic glasses.

THE AREA
    Yes you’re in a dedicated area, supposedly. On my return from London we had people walking through PE to use the facilities. The area is right over the wings so is very noisy on the 747 and same on the 77W.

The ONLY thing you are paying for when you pay double the price of economy is to get a slightly wider seat with some recline (rather than slide forward) and a tiny bit more leg room. That is it.

There is no additional service, the priority baggage doesn’t work, the food is economy only.

Cathay NEED to improve the food and service because the seat alone just isn’t worth double the price of economy. Other colleagues have also commented that having tried it to the US they will NOT travel PE again. Simply not worth it.

That’s the update.
    regards
    Jane

KSHaggag
    Participant

Thank you Jane for sharing your experience with us ..I was expecting such a feedback ,actually ….Now ,I am sure CX got the message …they will work on improving the product like they did with their herringbone seating in Biz class ..What I like about CX is that they listen carefully to their customers and react ..this is what puts them apart ….
    Thank you .

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls