Cathay Pacific no show fee

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

joe.niceguy
    Participant

I want share my bad experience regarding Cathay Pacific no show fee which is charged by Cathay Pacific Shanghai Pudong Airport ground staff.

I had a flight schedule from PVG to HKG on March 16, 2013 at 12.20 (CX 367).

Since I was still in the middle of breakfast meeting, I decided to re-schedule my flight from CX 367 to CX 6835/ KA 805 (14.20). Then I called Cathay Pacific Shanghai office at 09.45 AM from my hotel (Jin Jiang Tower Shanghai) and talked with one female staff to do re-scheduling of my flight. After having a quite long conversation (poor English standard for a big company such as Cathay Pacific to hire her), finally she understood my situation and told me that I only need to pay re-booking fee (USD 20) and asked me to pay in the airport.

When I did check in at CX counter in the Pudong airport, I was very very surprised when the ground staff named Helen charged me USD 100 for no show fee and USD 20 for re-booking fee. It’s so ridiculous and does not make any sense at all when she charged me USD 100 for no show fee, on the other hand at 09.45 I have called already Cathay Pacific Shanghai office staff to do re-booking for me and she didn’t mention about USD 100 for no show fee (it was my fault for not asking her name). After bargaining with Helen, she only charged me USD 100 and waived USD 20 at last. I was wondering why could it be happen to Cathay Pacific which is I know as one of the best airline company in the region.

Hopefully, this poor co-ordination among Cathay Pacific Shanghai ground staff will not happen again in the future which is caused unpleasant situation to the passenger.

ivornomates
    Participant

Maybe you should learn Chinese rather than expect everyone you talk to to speak English

Piggles
    Participant

I had a similar experience but with a nasty twist.

I tried to change my flight date (2 months out) HK to AKL and they were adamant there was no availability. The interesting thing was EVERY other airline I went to did have seats available. I ended up buying another ticket from a different airline. Cathay Pacific then threatened me with the no show fees. I calmly informed them I would never fly with them again so I was not going to pay the fees.

Appalling, arrogant, rude and I suspect dishonest service. Recently a colleague encountered a similar incident with Cathay. We came to the conclusion they were trying to “sting” us up to a first class upgrade as we were both encouraged to upgrade (at full price of course).

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Why would CX know anything about availability with another airline? If you are asking to change your flight they will provide you with the availability they have in the class of travel you have purchased or provide you with an alternative. Also Cathay Pacific do not have First Class to Auckland so your theory is flawed.

CX have no show fees but as long as you inform you aren’t going to take the flight the fee is waived, the no show fee is used to discourage people from not informing the airline so in turn it can sell on the extra seat. CX routinely overbook flights, they also codeshare on the route you mention with ANZ it maybe there allocation of seats on your selected flight had been oversold.

I’ve changed numerous flights with CX and I’ve never had a problem, I’ve always found their change policy to be very lenient compared to other carriers

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

@ivornomates

That has got to be the most ridiculous response I’ve read on this site.

@joe.niceguy, did you pay with a credit card? Have you tried disputing it with your bank? That call with the agent may have been recorded and CX could review to establish the misleading advice.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The code-share has been extended for a further four years.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101976/anz-and-cathay-extend-strategic-agreement

JCtraveller
    Participant

Hi Joe
    You were told the incorrect information I am afraid.

Once a flight is “flown” you will automatically be classed as a no show,most airlines don’t let you change the ticket once thi sscenario has occured. Those that do categorise this as “changes after departure” which is usually a much higher fee.

I would be looking to seek some compensation from CX based on the information they have informed you over the phone as it was incorrect. The ground staff were well within the rights to charge this as per the fare rules.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls