Cathay Pacific New Business Class Seat

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

• wanula1
    Participant

Being 2 metres tall this all becomes a debate around the other elements of service that make the overall business class experience as no carrier provides a seat long enough for me (excluding BA 64 A and K – upper deck 747) and having flown with the new CX seat a number of times I don’t think it is as bad as some people are making out on this forum.

I generally find that all the herringbone style seats are restrictive in terms of elbow room and that includes AC, NZ and Virgin. In fact the AC seat is probably my least favourite in this layout due to the low side walls where all you can see across the cabin are other peoples heads and shoulders! At least with CX it does feel like a private space.

As Hess states it is generally a choice issue but I would rate CX business class overall both new and old above many other carriers and would still prefer new business to sitting in the back of the plane.

I think we should count ourselves lucky to at least be flying business with these carriers as the vast majority don’t get the opportunity

ivornomates
    Participant

I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone pays CX biz class fares when for the same money you get BA far superior biz class. You use the CX or QF lounge in HKG and get the superb lounges in T5. For sure if F been flown the CX is light years ahead of BA but then LHR T3 really is the pitts.

HongKongLady
    Participant

The business class seats on Cathay do take a little getting used to, especially if you are used to the BA seat configuration although, they too have their draw backs. I must say, I now like the Cathay seats, they seem wider to me than BA when they are in flat bed position and they are certainly more comfortable, and I am a curvy westerner !! Cathay on the Hong Kong/London route are fantastic and never seem to have the off days that some of the BA crew have from time to time. I am and will continue to be a BA executive club member but will now mainly stick to Cathay for this route.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I was one of those “guinea pigs” who tested the proposed bed and layout in a factory unit near Birmingham almost 6 years ago.
    The consensus was that “horizontal” is always better than “lie-flat”, but the cabin would be claustrophobic. It was also pointed out that the layout they were choosing meant that there was no such thing as a window seat, and no way for 2 people to travel together. All those who had travelled on the, then new, VS product felt that CX were copying it.

I have since travelled on the seat and my view that the layout is wrong has not changed. The CX service is predictably consistent.

ivornomates
    Participant

I have to disagree, BA biz is way superior than CX for comfort. I dont care about crew and food etc, I do this route monthly and get on board having pre-fed and showered and go to sleep. I did this 10 days ago and slept from before push back to 40 minutes before landing in HKG on BA. I also detest the far too many in flight announcements you get on CX, with BA you get none apart from take off and pre landing

CHINABOY
    Participant

I have flown CX many times between NY and HK in Business Class and I absolutely LOATHE the new herringbone business seats. They are
    uncomfortable, totally claustrophobic, there is no arm room, one cannot even open a newspaper to full width, and if you are travelling with a
    companion you cannot communicate with them as they are in their
    own separate cell. CX claims that passengers wanted privacy – well
    then how about having a roll down partition so that if you don’t want
    to feel totally hemmed in you have the option to open your space
    which would also permit talking to a travel companion or another
    passenger? And if you want to get up you have to move the IFE
    screen as well. I seriously wonder what “suits” gave the approval
    to this horrific design and if they have ever actually flown 15 1/2
    hours strapped into a narrow box.

ivornomates
    Participant

Tell us something we didnt already know. By the way there are only about 15 other airlines you can chose from.

CHINABOY
    Participant

To Steve Fenton – if you were referring to my posting then I would sure like to know what the other 15 airlines are from which you state I
    can choose. Flying NONSTOP from NYC/JFK to Hong Kong offers
    me but two choices: Cathay Pacific CX830/831 or Continental Airlines
    which only flies from the dreadful Newark Liberty Airport. While Continental’s seats are far more comfortable I simply will not use Newark.
    As such that leaves only Cathay Pacific. You are right, they do make
    far too many inflight announcements.

First.Class.Please
    Participant

Chinaboy – surely the better onboard seat for 16 hours out weighs the negatives of having to use Newark airport?

CHINABOY
    Participant

I must say that neither is an especially pleasing option. On the other hand I suppose anything is better than Newark Liberty Airport! Best
    of all, use one’s miles for an upgrade to First Class which is what I did for my upcoming flight back from Hong Kong to JFK.

ivornomates
    Participant

One of the best F class in the world IMHO

travelbyleo
    Participant

If you are flying alone and dont like seeing or talking to anyone the seat is ok. If you are flying with anyone ( partner business associate children etc) it is completely unacceptable and is a joke. Imagine not being able to make talk see or hear the person you are flying with.

ivornomates
    Participant

Having seen some of the people on planes these days thats not such a bad thing actually and also some of the people I actually have to travel with, having a wall between us for 13 hrs and no where for them to sit and talk to me is pretty good.

travelbyleo
    Participant

yes I agree but what happens when you actually travel with someone. Have you ever wanted to talk to your partner on the plane?

ivornomates
    Participant

Many times, she sits on the footrest stool despite it saying dont sit there, or we go and stand in the galley to stretch our legs and have a drink. Its hardly as bad as you make it out, you make it sound like they lock you in a padded cell, get with it or fly someone else.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls