Cathay Pacific lounge Beijing (PEK)

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

stevescoots
    Participant

I see BA does not have an exclusivity on crap lounges in far flung places.

Sat in the CX lounge in PEK, this has to rank as the worst lounge of CX I have used. Flying BA and they use the local lounge, name escapes me. Anyway it’s rubbish as I have used it before, so decided to use the CX one. Wish I had stayed downstairs in Costa now.

No coffee as the machine just sprays it everywhere looks like it hasn’t been maintained properly either. Food consists of 2 types of Chinese water soup, and what could best be described as 2 day old croissants as hard as a rock. Any one tried spreading butter or jam on one with a chopstick? That’s right no knives or forks, just big spoons and chopsticks. But with no food I guess that’s all they need, they can be used for the pot noodles on the shelf.

Alcoholic drinks consist of a bottle of JD, a red wine, a white wine, and baileys with an optic of martini. Add to that Carlsberg and Tsing Tao in cans.

Internet connection…nope, they just use the airport free one which as anyone who has used PEK is dial up speed assuming you can work out how to log in and then for the 10 seconds or so before it drops out, data roaming it is then.

No working flight boards either. It’s grubby and tatty, my advice stay down stairs and use the cafes. Poor showing CX, who I consistently rate high for lounges

(Written sat in the lounge, posted later due to aforementioned connection)

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ stevescoots – 25/11/2015 08:43 GMT

It must be something about Beijing Capital: I’ve tried both the BA and CX lounges and neither are anything to write home about in terms of their catering. Comfortable but otherwise the catering is basic, to put it mildly. I wonder just what the Air China lounge is like in contrast…?!

BTW, just noticed (little other publicity given to this) that both the LHR T3 CX lounges (Business and First Class) will be closing tomorrow (26NOV15) until late June16 for renovation works.

stevescoots
    Participant

I last used the Air China one about 3 years ago, from memory it was ok, much more in the food offerings but the Wifi being the same free airport one.

Glad to see the CX LHR ones are being renovated, they are long overdue

EDIT –

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/cathay-shuts-heathrow-lounges-until-summer-2016

Harbord1
    Participant

I agree – this lounge is about as bad as it gets. Completely depressing with abysmal food quality, no functional wifi, tatty furniture and an absence of any style. CX cannot blame China for the rubbish food – all the hotels in Beijing manage to offer great bread, superb pastries and yummy sandwiches etc

stevescoots
    Participant

Harbord1, I agree, certainly in Beijing the standard of food in many places is a par with and in a lot of cases above HK. There is no excuse at the airport lounges, especially as the snack joints outside the lounge offer so much more.
    I stayed at the new Rosewood place, coincidently owned by Swire (owners of CX) great Hotel, the food was excellent, As it was snowing heavily I managed to sample 4 of their eateries. It’s not far from the centre, close to the commercial districts and on the Airport side of the city so even in Beijing’s infamous traffic only 45 mins and 80 RMB to the airport.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ stevescoots – 26/11/2015 06:33 GMT

Something I would love to see would be a PEK branch of Dadong… An all round experience as well as some of the best Beijing duck.

stevescoots
    Participant

I agree, good quality representation of Chinese dishes, or even anything really Chines is something PEK, is lacking. the airport seem happier to fill it with western brands and the usual junk shops

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls