Cathay Pacific DXB Lounge

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• w8ster
    Participant

I have been a Cathay Pacific fan a long time.. love their Business products, lounge in HK, LHR etc. I now fly regularly from DXB to the far east or Australasia. Emirates is constantly over priced and I am not huge on their products. That often leaves me with SQ, CX or Thai with CX being top of the list. The only thing that I am not keen on is the lounge access at DXB. You use Lufthansa lounge which to me is rather miserable both in food offerings and drinks. I remember Virgin (when they flew DXB) used to give access to the premium section of Marhaba lounge which is rather nice or even SQ (fellow Star Alliance with Lufthansa) uses Ahlan lounge which is still pretty decent. a bit confused why Cathay uses Lufthansa? They are not even part of the same alliance.

Craig Bright

Cathay Pacific and Lufthansa have been codesharing (and offering reciprocal FFP benefits) on some select routes since April 2017, so I’d imagine CX’s use of Lufthansa’s lounge in DXB is related to that partnership. Here’s what we covered when their partnership first began:

Cathay Pacific and Lufthansa Group agree to cooperate

Airlines have to pay to use other carriers’ lounges even if they’re part of the same alliance, and these fees vary. American Airlines, for example, actually uses Hong Kong Airlines’ Club Autus and Club Bauhinia lounges in Hong Kong as its “default” lounges for business class passengers rather than CX’s lounges, and I was told by an AA exec that this was because it’s cheaper. When I flew HKG-DFW with AA a couple years ago I was directed by check-in staff to the Hong Kong Airlines Bauhinia Lounge rather than to a CX lounge, though I could have gone to one of the CX lounges too.

1 user thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

You could always use the BA lounge (I am basing this on the fact you say you love CX’s business product, and so are getting access by travel class, on which basis you can use any oneworld-operated lounge under oneworld rules)

Marc_ACB
    Participant

The BA Lounge is only open around the time of the BA flights, so for some of the CX flights this is not an option

w8ster
    Participant

Unfortunately BA lounge isn’t usually open for CX departure time
    [quote quote=934981]You could always use the BA lounge (I am basing this on the fact you say you love CX’s business product, and so are getting access by travel class, on which basis you can use any oneworld-operated lounge under oneworld rules)[/quote]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls