Cathay Pacific data breach – worse than BA…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

FDOS_UK

I apologise for my delay in responding to your post offering support to and unqualified recommendation of the views of IanFromHKG

In your post you are dismissive my views on the data breach incident it seems largely because in your view I do not have ‘the history’ of the old boys club that you seem to believe to be a prerequisite to offering an informed view on this forum.

FYI I have posted on this forum since its inception ‘oldchinahand’ and had several letter published in the magazine.
    In my view your post added little to the debate and was unbelievingly condescending.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

From the article Tom linked to:

“A major cyberattack that saw the data of 9.4 million Cathay Pacific Airways customers stolen by hackers was far worse than the airline has previously admitted… Throughout our investigation into this incident, our foremost objective and primary motivation has been to support our affected passengers by providing accurate and meaningful information,” the statement said.”

The integrity issues continue, it seems.

canucklad
    Participant

Sadly and I suppose inevitably , every time I visit Hong Kong I notice a dilution of the history of the SAR !!

The DB ferry use to do announcements in English and then Cantonese reflecting the audience of its passengers.
    Now, its Mandarin, Cantonese and then English !!

It does sadden me that democracy is being chipped away at, until I remember that under British rule they didn’t really have democracy either .

Back to the hacking, and not just at CX. The conspirisist, cynical part of me can’t help wondering why Aeroflot or China Southern or other companies from those countries haven’t been attacked ? Just saying !!

1 user thanked author for this post.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=904643]From the article Tom linked to:

“A major cyberattack that saw the data of 9.4 million Cathay Pacific Airways customers stolen by hackers was far worse than the airline has previously admitted… Throughout our investigation into this incident, our foremost objective and primary motivation has been to support our affected passengers by providing accurate and meaningful information,” the statement said.”

The integrity issues continue, it seems.[/quote]

Sounds that way, Ian.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=904640]FDOS_UK

I apologise for my delay in responding to your post offering support to and unqualified recommendation of the views of IanFromHKG

In your post you are dismissive my views on the data breach incident it seems largely because in your view I do not have ‘the history’ of the old boys club that you seem to believe to be a prerequisite to offering an informed view on this forum.

FYI I have posted on this forum since its inception ‘oldchinahand’ and had several letter published in the magazine.

In my view your post added little to the debate and was unbelievingly condescending.[/quote]

Oh well, that’s fine then. You like to give out stick, but seem reluctant to take any back. Have a nice day. I once won a competition in the Beano comic.

cwoodward
    Participant

FDOS_UK Wrote

‘I once won a competition in the Beano comic.’

Congratulations! Obviously well remembered highlight.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

OK, shall we stop this now and stick with the topic of the thread?

cwoodward
    Participant

Sorry Tom. I just couldn’t resist but promise to be a good boy!
    Strong rumour in Hong Kong that Cathay chairman John Slosser will resign today.
    Interestingly Bloomberg reporting CX shares up 3.94% on the week.

cwoodward
    Participant

The above should read JOHN SLOSAR

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you,

Yes, I see he’s been testifying today

Cathay Tries to Pacify Angry Hack Victims With ‘Exciting Offers’

By Jinshan Hong
    14 November 2018, 02:07 GMT Updated on 14 November 2018, 04:21 GMT

Reeling from the world’s worst airline hack that exposed personal data of 9.4 million passengers, Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. is seeking to regain customer trust with “exciting offers” including better in-flight dining and entertainment.

The sophisticated attacks that lasted months earlier this year couldn’t have come at a worse time for Cathay Pacific’s Chief Executive Officer Rupert Hogg. At best, it is a distraction from his efforts to steer Asia’s biggest international airline back to profit, and at worst, the carrier could face regulatory action and lawsuits as it faces inquiries in at least 15 jurisdictions.

Hogg told lawmakers Wednesday that it’s still too early to discuss compensation and costs resulting from the hack.

cwoodward
    Participant

FROM CHANNEL NEWS ASIA

‘HONG KONG: Cathay Pacific Airways said on Wednesday it is working with 27 regulators in 15 jurisdictions to investigate a data breach that affected millions of passengers, as Hong Kong lawmakers grilled executives over how it handled the incident.

The executives did not answer repeated questions about whether the airline would compensate all affected customers or if it might face a hefty fine under new European Union privacy regulations, saying it was “too early” to comment.

Cathay has come under mounting criticism after it said late last month that about 9.4 million passengers’ personal data had been accessed without authorization, seven months after it became aware of the breach.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the breach or what the information might be used for, but Cathay said there was no evidence so far that personal information had been misused.

“The incident is a crisis,” company Chairman John Slosar told the committee. “It is the most serious one the airline has faced.”

Slosar again apologized for failing to protect customers’ data and said he regretted that the company could not investigate the attack more quickly.

Shares of Cathay, which slid to a nine-year low after news of the data leak last month, were up more than 4 percent on Wednesday, beating a flat broader market .

Slosar said that in future Cathay would instantly disclose any similar issues to the authorities.

The company denied the data breach was a result of layoffs at its IT department last year.

Cathay said an airline restructuring had been completed and it planned to hire 1,800 staff this year.

It also said it has spent over HKUS$1 billion (US$127.7 million) on IT infrastructure and security over the past three years.

Source: Reuters

canucklad
    Participant

I’m going to pose a question here……..

On the forum we’ve focussed on 2 breaches at BA & CX, 2 globally respected companies at opposite ends of the world, under different jurisdiction, yet in some cases overlapping regulators .

Yet the hackers are in reality answerable to no one, unless of course you theorize that some states embolden their clandestine agencies to undermine the economies of others.

IMO , as cwoodward & stevescoots have intimated CX are top of the list to undermine.

Companies such as Betfair, Citigroup, Domino’s pizza, ECB, Hilton, Hyatt, Mandarin oriental, Nasdaq, Nintendo, SnapChat, TD Bank, Uber , Walmart and even the POTUS’s own hotels have been compromised.

I’ve just listed a few I found, there are 100’s more instances of this crime.

My premise, is simple ……..Yes the companies are letting us down with the trust we put in them, but more importantly, it seems that these criminals have carte blanche to continue this pandemic !!

As taxpayers, aren’t governments supposed to protect us ……and by extension companies that pay taxes too, as CX and BA definitely do.
    Yet if I google convictions for data theft , all I see is lawyers and articles of companies being fined and or being sued by customers.

No news of convictions to the perpetrators, anywhere !!

jsn55
    Participant

Ah yes, another data breach, a huge one. Does any thinking person believe that our data is safe “out there”?

That it has EVER been safe?

It is not safe and nobody is policing it.

All we can do is limit what we put out there on the internet, scrutinize our financial accounts, keep track of our loyalty accounts, limit foolishness like keeping every factoid about our lives on Google, putting our passwords on some obscure internet site to “save” for us, and generally police our own activities. Expecting anyone else to do it is naïve.

capetonianm
    Participant

One of the reasons I don’t use ‘loyalty’ cards, (anti-)social media, etc. is that they provide a wealth of information which could be misused. I realise that the same applies to bank cards, but they are more or less a necessary evil.

Airline loyalty cards, I have a couple, but I will never have supermarket, shopping cards, etc. My wife has about three handbags full of them.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I agree with all of that, but of course airlines require a lot of information before they let you buy a ticket, and in addition collect even more to satisfy the immigration requirements of the country you are flying to (in many cases).

I too have friends who have never used social media, but one of them has still been hacked (in the BA case), so his caution didn’t help him then….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls