Cathay Pacific: cancellation and refusal of refund

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• MattHumans0624
    Participant

I have been flying with CX since I was three; their recent cancellation of my flight and refusal to refund transparently make me think twice before dealing with them again…

April 2022: Booked HKG-LHR LHR-HKG return flight on CX website

30 June 2022: CX emailed me saying my inbound flight is cancelled

4 July 2022: I wanted a refund but CX’s email and website only had the option to “accept their new flight” (whose timing doesn’t work for me) or “Schedule into other flights”. Had to contact their WhatsApp bot (see https://www.businesstraveller.com/forums/topic/new-cathay-pacific-website-experience-a-total-disaster/).

5 July 2022: A real human got back to me on WhatsApp after 26 hours — CX insisted I will only get 18% of my return flight cost back despite it is CX cancelling my flight. I did’t not accept their offer so CX asked me to submit a form with their customer service.

14 July 2022: Another CX agent got back via email saying that I can now get back 37% of what I paid for a return for the calculation as per the e-ticket; the agent explained CX “probably [did] not [take] into consideration special circumstances (your flight cancellation by CX)”. I pressed further and asked why my refund rights were never stated to me and how would I ever know how they determine the value of the cancelled inbound flight as the e-ticket was issued after I paid.

8 August 2022: CX reverted and said they were “unable to disclose any more details of our internal processes, the rest of your questions will remain unanswered.” Also issuing an ultimatum to accept their 37% refund offer: “Please note it is our final response to your queries. This case has been closed and will not be followed up. The refund has to be requested before departure [of the flight cancelled by CX].” I forwarded the case to Hong Kong Consumer Council.

14 September 2022: Consumer Council said they emailed CX about the incident 3 times — but all were ignored by CX.

Any expert advice on whether and how to escalate the case or should I just accept their now higher offer?

Anyone else eligible for a full refund but got offered by CX a lower refund amount?

first_class_please
    Participant

Credit card chargeback?

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

There is something altogether very odd about the above as this is not the way that Cathay normally does business.

Are we to assume that one half of the itinerary was used-or not ?
    If it were then the refund on the unused potion would seem about right
    Also are we to assume that this was a discounted economy ticket or something other ?

Without this detail it is difficult to advise.

TominScotland
    Participant

It is indeed odd but 37% or even 18% of the crazy prices that Cathay are currently quoting is still one heck of an amount of money, enough to buy a premium ticket with most other airlines!!!!!!!

MattHumans0624
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas folks 🙂

Both the outbound and inbound flights are in CX business class (outbound was “Business Essential” and inbound is “Business Light”)

CX cancelled the inbound LHR-HKG flight after the outbound HKG-LHR flight had been flown

Unfortunately credit card charge back is not an option as flight was booked months ago and the transaction has been settled.

CX said the 18% refund was calculated based on their “standard cancellation policy”, i.e. the total cost I paid minus the used HKG-LHR flight as if the used flight was purchased as a one-way ticket (?!)

CX later changed their mind and said I can get back a 37% “full refund” of what I paid because the used “Business Essential” is worth more than the “Business Light” CX is cancelling.

What remain elusive are:

Why CX had insisted on their “standard [voluntary] cancellation policy although they know crystal clear my flight was being involuntarily cancelled by CX?

Why “Business Light” = 37% of total fare? I have the impression that this 37% was calculated by CX after I requested a refund, not before I booked the flight? CX has a conflict of interest to undervalue the inbound flight because they know the inbound flight is/more likely to be used already?

The way CX handled the matter: “Please note it is our final response to your queries. This case has been closed and will not be followed up” — are they trying to hide something?

Has CX breached EC/UK 261 for not providing me the full refund option in the first place?

cwoodward
    Participant

No redress available re EC/UK261 as this was a HK transaction and Cathay is a HK registered airline is my view. Others may differ though.

I don’t believe that you are going to get more than 37% refund ether as although perhaps harsh this looks to be a normal amount for this type of transaction.

Where in my opinion you do have a case ‘of sorts’ is that the changes were involuntary imposed by the airline and the horrible way that this appears from your post to have been handled.

Perhaps move on is the best advise that I can offer unless you are up for a real fight from which you are likely to receive perhaps some satisfaction but little or no further refund.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Accepting you wanted a refund… but…. was there an option to keep the cancelled leg as an open ticket to be used within 1 year?

Am I allowed to ask how you got back to HKG?

GuyBetsy
    Participant

As discussed..do a charge back on the creditcard used for services unrendered. Full refund. Nothing else as it’s cos CX cancelled the flight. Not you.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

You won’t get a full refund on a service that has been partially used.

We are into the world of complex fare calculations. If you are getting 37% back then this is pretty good. Refunds can easily be as low as 18%-25% of a return ticket value. So 37% is pretty decent. I’d have to see what was actually ticketed to provide any further insight.

As Martyn mentioned the other option is to keep the return coupon open for a year and then airline can move you for free – if there is any need/value in doing this.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1233058]

Are you sure EC/UK261 doesn’t apply in this case? My understanding is that EC/UK261 applies to all flights departing from an airport in the UK, regardless of where the transaction took place or where the carrier is registered.

cwoodward
    Participant

C in M
    The answer to your question is – No
    As I implied in my in my post mine was an opinion -that I do however believe to be correct but very possibly I am wrong.

maxgeorge
    Participant

I gave up on CX after they finally offered, after repeated requests, a contemptible USD200 voucher for in-flight purchases to compensate for a seven – count them! – hour delay on a LAX-HKG departure. Their fault – crew no-show.

RoyJones
    Participant

I am a little confused. You bought a round trip ticket, Business Essential outbound and Business Light on the return. Business Essential is more expensive than Business Light. You used the Business Essential flight. My guess is that the 37% you have been quoted is 100% of the Business Light fare, in other words they are refunding you the entire return leg. You also don’t mention the date of the return leg, was it 14th July or later?
    My view, without seeing, any further information, is that CX offered you a full refund of the Business Light return portion after you were unable or unwilling to accept any alternative flight. I think CX are being reasonable.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

I have a slightly similar situation whereby EVA air cancelled at the last minute my “Confirmed” outward Flight London-Taiwan-Bangkok…with rt…Bangkok-London in Jan 2023 ( direct)….and seems it is my fault.

Phoned Eva shortly before to check on C19 vax situation…I am fully covered only to be told “do not go to Heathrow…you will Not be allowed on your flight”…thats it..

Got back to my London agent who insisted that I was cleared…OK.. to travel….arggg…

Managed however to get a very Expensive one way ticket with Thai…but still cannot get an acceptable response from EVA …..but wont give up…

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1233873]Managed however to get a very Expensive one way ticket with Thai…but still cannot get an acceptable response from EVA …..but wont give up…[/quote]

Presumably you are covered (financially) under “EU261 rules” as your flight was due from the UK.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls