Cathay Pacific B77W First Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

FivestarFred
    Participant

HKG-LHR 13 May 2015

Check-in: I had through checked my bags from Sydney to Bilbao but had a long transit in Hong Kong so dropped my hand luggage at the left luggage counter and went into the city by train. I went to the first class check-in area on my return at 9:30pm for my 00:35hrs flight just to see what it was like. The area, opposite the business class check-in, is large and airy but underwhelming…just a series of what resemble self check-in kiosks though there was an army of staff to assist you. No fast track through security but hardly any queues.

Lounge: I had tried all the lounges on previous visits including the latest and lovely “The Bridge” so on this occasion I thought it appropriate to stick to the only available proper first class lounge “The Wing” as other first class sections are under refurbishment or some lounges don’t have a separate first class section. The lounge is just beyond security by gate 1 and has excellent cabanas for resting though there are no blankets inside so can be cold and there can be a long wait to use them.

Comfortable and nicely designed lounge with good selection of à la carte or buffet food in the separate dining room plus a vast array of drinks and a champagne bar. Attendants everywhere to take your orders and replenish you.

Boarding: separate queue for each cabin and associated status passengers at the gate. Boarding was quick. Two entrances in use, 1L for first and business and high status passengers which meant a lot of footfall through the first class cabin. Effusive welcome and pointed to my seat where I was met by another cabin crew who helped me store away my belongings. A welcome drink was offered and I thought it would be rude not to have the Krug Grande Cuvée. An amuse bouche of smoked salmon mousse plus Bose headphones, newspapers, magazines, pyjamas, Aesop amenity kit and menus were offered or distributed.

The seat: I was in 1K which was a very private semi enclosed suite. All six seats occupied today. The seat is huge enough to curl up on whilst seated but tapers at the footwell. Large cupboard that easily fits two medium sized carry-on bags or coats and clothing. No overhead bins. There’s a shelf for magazines and a small storage compartment for little items. Medium sized moveable TV screen. USB port and UK style power socket.

Three pre-set seat modes for takeoff and landing, dining and sleeping. A thin mattress is laid down and a duvet is provided plus three small pillows. The bed is very comfortable and easily fits my 1.9m frame. I had 6hrs sleep on this almost 13hr flight.

Food and drink: masses of food and drink. I had the obligatory caviar served with mother of pearl spoon and usual accompaniments. In addition to the normal menu there was a special menu created by the chef at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. I had this four course option which was edible flowers and cured ham followed by gazpacho then a huge and very succulent pork cutlet and finished with strawberry ice cream which I swapped in favour of just plain fruit.

The normal menu had western and Chinese options including vegetarian. Presentation was excellent.

I didn’t try any of the extensive wine list unfortunately. There were eight red wines (including six from the Rhône Valley in a special promotional wine list and the other two being Château Lynch Bages 2007 and Villa Maria Reserve Marlborough Pinot Noir 2010 ) and two white wines (Vincent Girardin Puligny-Montrachet Vieilles Vignes 2010 and Artisan The Sands Block Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2013) plus the usual array of spirits, beers and soft drinks.

Substantial snacks were available throughout the flight.

Breakfast was served 2hrs prior to landing. Choice of western or Chinese plus cereal, fruit, yoghurt and hot and cold drinks.

Entertainment: Very good selection of movies, TV, audio plus magazines and newspapers.

Service: excellent! They have it just right…very professional, engaging, attentive, warm…faultless!

Other: two well equipped and very clean though standard sized toilets for just 6 passengers. Aesop (luxury Australian brand) amenities. The cabin feels spacious and exclusive but is not overly fancy.

Summary: my first time in first class on Cathay Pacific. It was very good but I may have expected far too much. The crew were excellent as always. I was asked to fill in a questionnaire which I gladly did. I just didn’t leave floating on superlatives.

I had feared this flight would go to the top of my list straight away but Japan Airlines still reigns supreme in my affections for now. I still have yet to try first class on Singapore, Lufthansa, Swiss, Asiana, ANA…

Aside: we landed into T3 slightly late at 06:45 but I was in a deserted and soon to be demolished T1 by 07:15 with plenty of time for a shower and some food and a quick trip to the few shops before boarding for the 08:30 flight to Bilbao. Sadly my bag thought the connection was too short and didn’t make it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls