Cathay ends Boeing 747 passenger services

Back to Forum

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  MartynSinclair 7 Oct 2016
at 15:44

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

I have been looking for a sim that has a model of Paro Airport in Bhutan.

This Himalayan airport is often called “the most dangerous airport in the world”
    The last time I heard only only eight pilots are qualified to land here. The Airport is 1.5 miles above sea level and surrounded by sharp peaks of up to 18,000ft tall. The runway is just 6,500 feet long. One of the few in the world shorter than their elevation above sea level. The approach to Paro is unbelievably complicated. It is flown visually through a valley with high mountains all around and no sight of the airport until the last moment. See the picture I have loaded here.

Approach to runway 15, marked in red, is worse in this regard. The ridge is rather close to the airport, so the final turn usually ends over the runway threshold. The wings get level with 30-50 ft remaining only. The approach to runway 15, marked in blue, allows a bit more of a straight final, but not by much. In either case the aircraft must emerge from the turn with correct altitude, speed and rate of descent. So the pilot has to know landmarks in the valley and how to judge correct approach profile by them. The approaches also often involve turning around higher in the valleys which again must be done by landmarks at places where it is known to be possible. It is this knowledge pilots have to demonstrate before they can attempt the approach (as pilots in command).

Charles-P
    Participant

…and let’s not forget the ever enjoyable LCY. Video here

British Airways releases video of approach into London City Airport

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Charles-P, You Tube has most things 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls