Car hire scams

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

I always make a point of walking around the vehicle inspecting for damage pre-rental, and ensuring that the gate-guard signs to agree any pre-existing damage before I leave the depot; it’s good to make a note of their name too as signatures can be illegible and therefore can be denied by the less reputable companies.

I rent probably 10-15 times per year and have never had a problem, though note there are other “scams” (well, not really scam but rather sharp practices) relating to automated tolls and pre-paid fuel which are less easy to spot when you’ve just come off a longhaul flight.

However, ’twas ever thus and it’s a case of caveat emptor.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Far easier to take a video of the car or any suspect markings along with a jokey comment to the delivery person “smile for the camera!”

I am a big fan of using a mobile phone to its fullest potential. Its saved me from this scam on many occasions and even got me an apology from a major for trying it on – the mobile phone evidence saved the day.

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s a good idea, and not one I had considered using.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I learned recently that while Visa allow a car hire company to bill you retrospectively for damage, Mastercard do not, you have to agree to pay regardless of the authority the car hire company may tell you they have, they do not. Pay with Mastercard!

Binman62
    Participant

PPSKrisflyer….did not know that very good advice.
    I use Amex Platinum which not only avoids the need for any extra insurances but will also cover any damages.

mikewebley
    Participant

when i returned a car hire, the person receiving the car found a dent, & said that he would charge me for the damage. He had not checked my ticket. I said to him, charge me, but as I have purchased the extra insurance to £0 excess, he could not.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“I always make a point of walking around the vehicle inspecting for damage pre-rental, and ensuring that the gate-guard signs to agree any pre-existing damage before I leave the depot;”

Be very careful in relying on the gate-guard, as they are often employed by third party security firms and thus not authorized to sign such forms.

If you find damage, go back to the front of the queue and ask the agent to sign. After all, the company has caused you the problem by providing inaccurate records and you should not be delayed further because of their incompetence.

It may not be very British behavior, but it gets the job done.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I never wait in line as being Ais Preferred my car is usually waiting for me in the lot with key in it.

Going back to report minor damage, parking up and barging in front of others who have waited defeats the object of having Preferred status and also is extremely rude to others.

I have had to ask the gate guard to sign on three occasions and each time they have been happy to do so. It’s more a case of having a named witness, and as others have said, my Amex insurance will cover any damage if they start getting difficult.

Stowage222
    Participant

Another recent example to be aware of – I hired from Alamo ABZ for 4 days and returned the car 90 minutes before the deadline. Their return car park office was unmanned so I was advised to leave the key with the rental desk at arrivals which I duly did. The guy was very busy with incoming customers so he didn’t process my vehicle immediately. Got the invoice confirmation whereby an additional day had been billed. They didn’t process my file for another 2.5 hours after the return. I sent an email to Alamo customer services with the details. The autoresponse said they would respond to my email within 10 days (21st century obviously hasn’t caught up with them yet) but true to their word they did respond on day 10 with the issue resolved. Moral of the story is make sure you get them to check you out before you leave the desk.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Vintage Krug

Not for the first time you have changed your tune when challenged.

You said nothing about AMEX insurance in your original post and said that you also get the guard’s name in case the less reputable companies deny knowledge.

I repeat that if one relies on the guard to accept damage for the car hire company, many may work for 3rd party companies and this action could carry little, if any, weight when arguing with the company.

As to being rude, I don’t see why it is, if I bought a product from a shop and found it was defective as I left, I would go straight back in and expect them to resolve it there and then, not to have to re-join a queue.

What’s the difference?

nevereconomy
    Participant

Be careful with Hertz in Manchester. On my last 3 rentals, they processed the paperwork long after the return and charged an extra day – one time even for the sake of 5 minutes. No problem to get a refund, but one wonders if it is a policy to try it.

EagerTraveler
    Participant

A never rent with the BU..ET brand. B…Always take a video of your car before leaving. C…if you have to sign for your car before seeing it…mark down you have not seen the car at signing.

Happy renting.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I rented from LCY once with an Internet booking firm, to discover on arrival they had no actual office there and I had to collect the keys from the Info desk. It was an all inclusive rental so no problems with pick up, finding it in the car park etc.

Surprise no. 1 was when the exit ticket did not work and I had to go to the machine and pay £20 or so. They had left it in the short term parking the day before! Next surprise was on the return.

I left the car in the car park and gave the keys to the Info desk as instructed. I was told they endeavour to pick up the car within 2 hours and that parking fee would be charged. They actually took 4 days to collect it. The parking bill was 3 times the 2 day car rental charge.

After 30 minutes of complaining at the injustice, and they saying I could have returned it to their depot, but that defeated the fact I specified on the booking collection/drop off at airport, they “graciously” offered me a free upgrade next time I rented!

My response was to hang up, call the premier service at HSBC, who credited my account with the full disputed amount (including the car park charge at collection – which at first I was not disputing) and apart from a small form I had to complete, I’ve heard nothing since.

kensand10014
    Participant

Potakas, I have had similar experience with Avis/Budget in France and I have the same questions you do. The car they gave me already had damage. I added a small scratch on lower front bumper. The want to charge me approx USD400. When I complained they instantly dropped it to 200. Seemed suspect. The collision insurance they originally offered me was an additional 200% of the cost of the car rental. It seems like this insurance coverage/damage costs thing is a profit center for them.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

02/06/ vintagekrug 100% correct – amex a huge plus, gate chaps usually very helpful…

Sadly the scam of run out of petrol on the way to the airport (i.e return empty) is getting commoner &, even worse, Avis/Hertz are not that – merely some local cowboy!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls