Car hire company shenanigans… Avis

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 164 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

Avis Cape Town ? I am not in any way surprised. Back in 2012 I was using them almost every month between March and August and every time there was some small unexplained extra charge when I checked my credit card. The excuses they offered were sometimes quite funny. Aside from the usual BS such as “damage” or “items missing” I was also told I had received a car parking bill but they had lost the ticket and a “City Tax” charge that never existed.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have received a “NOTICE OF PENDENCY OF CLASS ACTION,

HEATHER VENERUS (Plaintiff) v AVIS BUDGET CAR RENTAL and BUDGET RENT A CAR

case number. 6:13-CV-921-CEM-GJK

I will apparently be part of this class action… unless I opt out.

I have tried to google but haven’t found much. Does anyone have a clue what this could be about…..

NTarrant
    Participant

Which country Martyn?

lloydah
    Participant

http://www.hefflercases.com/cases/ven/

Explanation here, more or less. L

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Florida, USA.

‘My lawyers’ are in South Miami

@lloydah – many thanks, that’s exactly what I have been sent in paper format…

Still not sure how they got my name.. and address.

lloydah
    Participant

………….aaaahhhhh .the power of the internet (followed by creepy music)

SimonS1
    Participant

Who knows, you may get a refund.

No doubt your email has been picked up under some form of ‘disclosure’ model.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

“Still not sure how they got my name.. and address.”

Possibly during Discovery, by requesting (from the hire firm) or issuing a subpoena (to credit card companies) for the details of all customers eligible for the class action?

MrMichael
    Participant

Do they not have some sort of data protection legislation in USA? Surely they cannot pass on Martyn’s contact details to a third party without Martyn’s express authority to do so.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael – 14/02/2016 08:28 GMT

Data Protection practice in the US is somewhat different to the EU.

This link gives some information about the ‘Notice to Potential Class Members.’

http://litigation.findlaw.com/legal-system/class-action-cases.html

The reason I ended my post with ‘?’ was that I was speculating about how the lawyer obtained Martyn’s details and my best guess was some form of disclosure during the Discovery phase, possibly prompted by a court order or subpoena.

jsn55
    Participant

I’ve never had a problem with a rental car anywhere in the US or Europe. Probably rent 8 or 10 cars a year. Since I don’t think it’s just luck, I’ve come to the conclusion that the rental car companies are very aware of “strong credit cards” and leave people with American Express or the top Chase cards alone. I can’t come up with a better explanation. Any opinions?

NTarrant
    Participant

About 10 days ago I received an email from Avis with a link to get my free weekend hire or enter the code.

As I needed a car for six days I went on the website and entered the code, however the rate was actually £3.00 cheaper than the rate as if I booked without the code. I booked anyway as the rate was still cheaper than other companies!

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Booked an Avis car through BA. Included airport tax, extra driver etc.
    The BA voucher was for a certain allowance, but even so, I still had an extra charge for part of the cost of rental and paid again for airport tax. I know all these things should be queried at the time, but after a flight you just want your car and honestly I rarely scrutinise my rental agreements at the start. BA don’t want to know and Avis are ignoring me. It’s not the amount, it’s the principle and the fact BA really should know what these “2nd hand car salesmen” are up to when they are the sales agent.

rferguson
    Participant

Not Avis this time but Hertz – been caught our charging renters for damage that was already there. AND ordered to pay the amounts back.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/hertz-refunds-customers-falsely-accused-of-damaging-rental-cars?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper

JPHK1878
    Participant

Find this very interesting. We’ve just returned from 10 days in OZ where we rented from Hertz.

The airport counter was slammed with it being Easter weekend. We got the keys no problem, being Hertz Gold. got out to the car and noticed that the rear of the Audi Q7 had been in a mild scrape and there was paint transfer from the other vehicle.

The paperwork states, make a note, take a picture and then just let them know when you return the vehicle. something we almost did, but I wanted to be cautious so queued up at the counter for another 15mins to get someone to come out to the car and make a note of the damage.

there were 3 other drivers with similar problems, damage on their cars that wasn’t noted on the paperwork prior to them leaving the carpark.

We’ve not had an issue with the bill, or anything, so all is fine.

The article just goes to show that you do need to check the paperwork and the car when you pick it up. Any issues, get it noted and signed for by a hire company bod, before you drive away.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 164 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls