Car hire company shenanigans… Avis

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 164 total)

• superchris
    Participant

So just to close out and bookmark my original post.

Complaint to Avis is now almost 6 weeks old with not so much of an acknowledgment, plus they have failed to credit any BA miles (arguably the reason I used Avis in the first place).

Guess where I won’t be booking my future car hire requirements??

craigwatson
    Participant

Quick question, just booked a car through Avis on the executive club website and it says you get an extra driver free of charge for exec club members and to ensure you add your exec club number to the booking. Problem being there is no field to enter the membership number. Is this just automatically added behind the scenes as it was booked from within my exec club account?

Anyone done this before and were there any problems with Avis when picking up the car?

ViajeroUK
    Participant

I stopped booking thru the BA site when they introduced the c/card fee, as I usually pre-pay to get the keenest price.

I now book direct from the Avis website using the BA discount code, no c/card fee. From memory I think there is a field on the Avis page to input your BAEC number. I have taken advantage of the free second driver a few times at different locations without any problems at the pick up desk.

You could maybe contact Avis customer services to make sure your BA number has been recorded.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Hi all, following up my earlier posting, the spurious Amex charge was “an impression…” taken for fuel. As, when we returned the vehicle at FCO, it was full to the brim, there was nothing else to pay and the Amex fee disappeared as mysteriously as it had first appeared. A small niggle with a tyre pressure warning light that would not allow itself to be reset but, as we’d a freebie upgrade to a Clio Sportster, we cannot, in complete fairness, complain about the service we received.

But the driving behaviour experienced on Italian roads and autostrade… Oh boy!

handbag
    Participant

craigwatson – 08/08/2015 13:50 BST
    I telephoned, because I could not see a place to register it either. and they told me to just take my exec card with me and show at desk

craigwatson
    Participant

Thanks handbag. You have put my mind at rest. Have a great weekend!

first_class_please
    Participant

Does anybody know the email domain for management at avis/budget?

I`ve been getting nowhere with customer service and while I have names in US and UK, cannot get through to them.

Tried first name (dot) last name and initial (dot) last name

@avis.com, @avisbudget.com, @avis.co.uk

Any help appreciated.

K1ngston
    Participant

My sincere apologies CathayLoyalist2 how very rude of me not to acknowledge your kind advice on the Amex Plat card here in SG. I have been travelling and have had family and friends here for the last few weeks.

I have checked with Amex here and they offer pretty much the same T&Cs that you get with the UK Amex card and I am still waiting for the very nice gentleman to explain what differences I am to receive for the whopping $1700 SGD, other than a free stay in a Banyan Tree resort in Thailand later in the year which I will make good use of with my partner!

As for Avis, I have to say I have used then twice more since I last posted once in Brisbane, and once in Auckland and they were fast, attentive, got the car I wanted and now that I have hit super duper status a nice upgrade too… Keep up the good work Avis

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

k1ingston, no worries. Interesting what you said about the coverage here in Singapore because I was told that I have to pay with the Amex card regardless and if Amex is not available then take out additional insurance. In that event ironically my UK Amex card still covers me so it is worthwhile checking. I’ll double check with Amex here

K1ngston
    Participant

Thanks CathayLoyalist2 as residents of this city state maybe a glass of Chardonay some time may work?

handbag
    Participant

Keep an eye on your credit card for small amounts on the last day of your rental. Just noticed £9.70 for the day I returned my car. Phoned Avis to inquire what it was for. A very pleasant lady, asked if I had returned my car lat. I said no, she said, there is sometimes a system error and immediately refunded. Call over in less than a minute.

How many times does this happen?

SimonS1
    Participant

Sharp practice. Put a charge like that through 100 times as a “system error” and I bet plenty of business types would let it go or not notice.

£9.70 x 50 would be quite handy when you staff are on the minimum wage.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Sharp practice indeed – but as nothing compared to the Europcar hire operation in Verona some time back that tried to put the entire transaction through twice – the second time well after our return.

I have found with Avis (our bookings are mainly for Italy out of NAP, FCO, BLQ and VCE) that very deliberately photographing the care in front of the staff, and from all angles upon collection and upon dropping-off, registers the point. We’ve (touch wood) been having fewer issues recently.

Charles-P
    Participant

The car hire industry seems to have such a poor reputation for these extra charges I am surprised it has never been investigated. Perhaps because unlike most businesses it’s customers are primarily not private individuals spending their own money.
    I tend not use the larger renters anymore preferring to stick with the smaller operations that I know are grateful for my business and will be honest.

openfly
    Participant

AVIS Cape Town/South Africa add a small amount onto my cc frequently. I rent a car from them at least once a month. Why do I stay with them? Because it’s better the devil you know. I now have an AVIS UK manager monitoring every aspect of my rentals. I pay the agreed contracted amount and not a penny more. I pay on Amex and go into dispute with AVIS via Amex and refuse to pay…never have.
    Treat them as badly as they treat you!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 164 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls