Cape Town water….critical low level.

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• openfly
    Participant

The water situation in Cape Town has been critically low for some months due to insufficient rainfall. Dams are so low that the city is approaching stand pipes and supply cuts.
    With the next record tourist season approaching, things can only get worse. Definitely no baths and a 2 minute shower are suggested by the government.
    On arrival, tourists should buy a 5 litre bottle per person to cover the times when the mains supply is turned off. The city is estimating that, if there is no usable rainfall over the next few weeks, the dams will be empty by March 2018.
    All this at a time that JNB and DUR have had a winter of record rainfall.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s a terrible situation Capetonian not just in Cape Town, though I think it is worse there, but all along the Garden Route.
    I’ve always been worried about our profligate use of water, and not just in SA. Unfortunately where SA had a very good and functioning water system 20 years ago, mismanagement combined with an increase in both population, immigration and tourism, coupled with lower rainfalls, has put intolerable strains on the provision of water.

I’ve a feeling this will badly affect tourism which is a shame as the town relies so much on that for income and employment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls