Cape Town advice & recommendations

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• goldaviator
    Participant

[quote quote=977580]best.
    A wine estate not mentioned is Constantia Glen. Belongs to a friend of mine but well worth a visit and lunch[/quote]

I am going to Constantia Glen next week Sunday. Looks good.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The current scam in Knysna and Plett and probably elsewhere, is for a respectable looking person to compliment you in some way or ask where you’re from. White South African’s will tell them, most likely not so politely, to go away and they will. Tourists not wishing to offend will likely smile and engage in some small talk, but crucially, while their attention is diverted, an accomplice has noted the PIN and as soon as the card comes out the machine it’s snatched and they run away. It’s then used somewhere else with minutes and as much cask as possible is taken. Since foreign cards tend to have much higher limits than South African ones they can inflict severe financial damage.

I have a South African issued credit and debit card, but I limit ATM withdrawals to just R.500 a day and can now turn of the use at ATM’s, turning it on again through the app only when I need to do so.

Another solution I use when drawing larger sums (and the maximum at one time from an ATM in SA is between R. 5,000 and R. 10,000) is to put the money on my revolut card, then withdraw the cash and immediately lock it again. If the card is snatched I can block it within 30 seconds through the app so just have the hassle of getting a new card.

The standard South African plugs are, for those of us old enough to remember, the old fashioned UK 3 round pins. 3 pin to European 2 pin can be found almost everywhere for about R.30 3 pin to UK 3 pin are much harder to find.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DNAdams
    Participant

Thank you everyone for taking the time and kindly sharing your advice and knowledge, I am very grateful.

I am bit concerned that Uber is not safe as I was hoping to use this while I am there to get around town. Are there official licensed taxis that one can flag down in the street? The unicab app does not seem to work or download.

I am also surprised that the public buses are not recommended, why is this? There seems to be quite a good network and website https://www.myciti.org.za/en/home/ and contact less payment card available.

Also, Is Amex widely accepted or just Visa and Mastercard?

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

goldaviator
    Participant

[quote quote=977898]I am bit concerned that Uber is not safe as I was hoping to use this while I am there to get around town. Are there official licensed taxis that one can flag down in the street? The unicab app does not seem to work or download.[/quote]

As you can see from responses there’s differing views on whether to use Uber. I use them all the time in Cape Town and possibly just lucky but have never had an issue or felt unsafe. I have had one driver who assumed I was foreign take a very obvious diversion to up the fare ( off the motorway, round the houses, back onto same motorway! Lol.) which I successfully challenged with uber and was refunded. Apart from that, have never felt unsafe. If you’re waiting for an uber outside a restaurant, I wouldn’t go wandering looking for them but wait at restaurant entrance until they find you. Preferably somewhere well lit and with other people around.

I would not recommend flagging down a cab on a road on South Africa ever, day or night. You just don’t know what you are getting into.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=977926]I would not recommend flagging down a cab on a road on South Africa ever, day or night. You just don’t know what you are getting into.[/quote]

That is very sound advice.

If you can’t download the app, you can always call them to arrange a car.

Daytime the buses are probably OK, but taxis are ridiculously cheap compared to Europe I’d not even consider using the bus. Unicabs for example charge R.80 from the Mount Nelson to the Waterfront, 6kms and 15 minutes. That’s less than GBP 5.00

capetonianm
    Participant

If you don’t want to use Uber, and I can understand that, there are a number of reliable taxi companies that have been around for ages.

The one I used to use was called Marine Taxis but their website seems to have been hijacked by a Chinese manufacturing company. ( https://marinetaxis.co.za/ ) but I found this number which seems familiar – 021 434 0434. As it is years since I last used them, I can’t give any recommendation on them

Your hotel will let you know who they use, and I would stick to a local and current recommendation.

By the way ZA phone numbers are shown in various different formats, for example +27(0)21 434 0434. For a CPT number such as this, you would dial +27 21 434 0434, or 021 434 0434. The city code (021) is mandatory. Some companies have 0860 or 0861 numbers called ‘sharecall’ which are rather like 0345 0845 etc in the UK, but they can’t usually be dialled from outside ZA.

I must repeat the advice about not hailing a taxicab in the street. It’s a >90% chance it would be safe but is it worth the risk? And NEVER hail a minibus taxi and do not be persuaded to get into one however aggressive the touting is.

The MyCiti buses are OK during the day and safe, but often crowded. The Golden Arrow ones are not recommended.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls