Cancelling Avios bookings

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Has there been a change in avios T & C’s..

For the second time in 3 weeks I have been able to cancel an avios booking, with only a small cancelation fee. I thought the one I cancelled just before Christmas was allowed to be cancelled because of the impending strike. But I have just been able to get a refund of avios and money (minus a fee) and it was well outside of the 24 hour window…

Is this new??

stevescoots
    Participant

I have done it before a few times for small fee and got the points back

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Didn’t it used to be completely free for gold card holders to cancel Avios bookings, then BA introduced a small fee 18-24 months ago? £50, IIRC?

I seem to remember the justification was that gold card holders were making multiple reward bookings, taking availability out of the system, then cancelling.

openfly
    Participant

Avios refunded and a £35 charge on any cancellation. Except no charge if the canx is done within 24 hours of booking.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=784959]Avios refunded and a £35 charge on any cancellation. Except no charge if the canx is done within 24 hours of booking.

[/quote]

Yes, you’re right – £35 for the redeposit, plus a £15 additional service centre fee, waived for gold card holders.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just chatting to a friend who was looking for Avios redemption for him and his wife to CPT, and could only book ex LGW. He then had to cancel for personal reasons. He then re booked the same flight and a week before his departure saw availability ex LHR and was able to change to that flight instead. All for no penalty or charge. He was impressed!

mikeact
    Participant

How much was the fee… £35 or £50, or Neither?

mikeact
    Participant

Why pay £15 when it’s easy enough to do on line ?

Cloud-9
    Participant

£50 fee, comprising £35 redeposit and £15 service charge

FCTraveller
    Participant

@MartynSinclair what fee were you charged? £35 is the standard cancellation fee and the ones I cancelled recently were charged accordingly. I think it was raised from £25 at the last round of “program improvements” (read: devaluation) in April 2015. BTW, the £15 offline cancellation fee can easily be waived if you just say that it was not possible to cancel online, which actually is the case more often than not.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls