Can any one Travel on a Freighter ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

Petericia
    Participant

Can any one Travel on a Freighter ?

NTarrant
    Participant

Back in the 70’s and early 80’s it was possible to travel on some freight sea operators. They used to have a few cabins available. The banana boats were popular. Don’t know now possibly not with containerisation.

TominScotland
    Participant

Certainly its still possible and quite an interesting alternative to air transport – if you have the time!! Have a look at
    http://thetravelersnotebook.com/how-to/how-to-travel-by-cargo-ship/

as one route into this world of cargoship travel!!

Searching on Google generates a range of options…..

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

Some cargo aircraft do have a row or two of passenger seats, but they are generally used to transport non-flying crew or airline employees. However, there are also some aircraft that operate in a mixed passenger/freight configuration. I believe KLM still operates some 747s in this way. I flew on one to Korea a few years back. Obviously a good option for relatively thin passenger routes where there is strong cargo demand.

TominScotland
    Participant

Not quite the same thing as I guess few passengers are aware that they are on a 74M – you don’t sit in the same area as the cargo – at least not on the KL889/890 74Ms I frequently use between AMS and HKG!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls