Caledonian MacBrayne

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

Having spent 2 nights in the Scottish Highlands, 3 nights on Tiree & now my 4th night on Harris, I’m ready for the ferry to Skye on May 20 at 7,20am.

However due to a ferry striking a port services have been cancelled for the next 7 days.

I received an SMS notifying me that I was being put on the 22,30 on 21st from Stornaway to Ullapool, which was then changed to 23rd at 07,30.

A three day delay !

There is not much one can say or do other than realise the dreadful effect that this has on businesses across the board.

Montysaurus
    Participant

The situation is appalling but please don’t blame CalMac. They can only operate the ships they are given. Ships are procured by Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd and policy is set by Transport Scotland/Scottish Government. The latter are the ones to blame. I have no connection with CalMac other than as a regular user.

3 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

Montysaurus

You are 100% correct here. I regularly drive past the Ferguson’s ship yard in Port Glasgow where two new ferries, destined for the CalMac fleet, sit unfinished and about 4 years (and many £m) over-time and over-budget. CalMac tried to obtain suitable replacements on long-term charters but the demands of island docking, in particular, meant that there were none suitable that were available.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1214546]I regularly drive past the Ferguson’s ship yard in Port Glasgow where two new ferries, destined for the CalMac fleet, sit unfinished and about 4 years (and many £m) over-time and over-budget[/quote]

Indeed. There’s a piece just published by The Scotsman.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls