Cabin altitude

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• BPP
    Participant

Reading the latest BT magazine, specifically the wine awards I am curious why the judges need to discover wines that perform well at 35000 feet when the cabin altitude rarely (one hopes!) exceeds 8000 feet?
    BPP

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Standard cruising altitude is 35,000 feet or 10,600 metres. Or am I missing something?

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1209329]

Isn’t it the difference between altitude and pressurisation?

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1209330]

Yes, I think you are correct. But, for me, altitude is actual (i.e. height above sea level). If the cabin is pressurised to give the impression of lower altitude, which it does, then that is virtual altitude, not actual. How all of that impacts on the taste (and impact) of wine is another matter though.

BPP
    Participant

Hi All
    The pressure outside the aircraft at 35000feet is very little indeed and certainly not condusive to breathing let alone drinking. The cabin is continually pressurised to an altitude equivalent to 8000feet to facillitate both in comfort.
    I do suspect that this is all a euphermism for overcomming poor storage and handling.

2 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I misread this and thought it was more BA rant about cabin attitude.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Cabin Attitude would be a good name for a regular column.

4 users thanked author for this post.

TonyR
    Participant

I would agree with others that the wines have to perform well at whatever altitude the plane is cruising at even if the cabin pressure is equivalent to that at 8,000ft. When you fly you say you ate at 35,000 or whatever ft, not 8,000 ft. But maybe “perform well at altitude” would have been better given the range of altitudes they can fly at I have heard it said that it makes a difference to the taste of the wine and food so that stronger flavours are needed (and the alcohol is more intoxicating). All I can say when I have found wines I know and love being served onboard, they have tasted the same to my low resolution palate.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls