By 2050, Planes Will Have Transparent Walls

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

DJ_London
    Participant

Air passengers of the future could be able to read bedtime stories to their children back home while staring out at sunny or starry skies.

Airbus has designed a new “intelligent” concept cabin with a structure that mimics the efficiency of bird bone.

Travellers in 2050 will have seats that fit their body shapes and be able to enjoy a game of virtual golf or take part in interactive conferences. And they could do all of this while enjoying a panoramic view of the skies through a transparent cabin wall.

In the cabin concept, new personalised zones replace the traditional cabin classes.

The “vitalising zone” helps passengers relax, with vitamin and antioxidant-enriched air, mood lighting, aromatherapy and acupressure treatments.

In the “interactive zone” there are virtual pop-up projections taking passengers to whichever social scene they want to be in, from holographic gaming to virtual changing rooms for active shoppers.

The “smart tech zone” is tailored towards the more functional-orientated passenger with what Airbus describes as “a chameleon-style offering, to meet individual needs ranging from a simple to a complete luxury service, but all allowing you to continue life as if on the ground”.

When presenting the concept in London Airbus engineering executive vice-president Charles Champion said: “Our research shows that passengers of 2050 will expect a seamless travel experience while also caring for the environment.

“The concept cabin is designed with that in mind, and shows that the journey can be as much a voyage of discovery as the destination.”

Check out for more information:
    http://news.sky.com

Globalti
    Participant

Not sure about some of this but from a passenger’s POV airline seats don’t seem to have evolved at the same rate as computers or aircraft themselves – they are still based on complex mechanical arrangements, which wear out and sag and weigh a lot, they are still uncomfortably hard and still a major bone of contention for passengers. I look forward to some real innovation in aircraft seating.

travelwell
    Participant

by 2050 I will be able to email myself around the world so I wont need to take a flight any more. sorry all you airlines…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Plus ca change, plus c’est le meme chose! The earliest form of air travel was by hot air balloon. Those gondolas had 360 deg. views, plenty of fresh air but admittedly no lie flat seats!

Globalti
    Participant

Don’t talk to me about hot air balloons! A few years ago my family bought me a balloon trip and the damned thing ran out of fuel and crash-landed in somebody’s back garden. Never again!

RichHI1
    Participant

For those of us with vertigo I can think of nothing worse than transparent walls. I look forward to seats that fit body shape as a tall person and wonder if any airlines will want to install them if it cuts the rows by 20% or are we just talking about the wider or narrower passenger?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls