Buyout (Pre-Pay) of the Mini Bar – Hilton

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• alainboy56
    Participant

Have been staying very frequently in the Hilton in Riyadh of late, and very strangely, have never been offered a fee minibar on the tariff/upgrade offers.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Agree Tom, Grootbos is fantastic, and not to detract from this outstanding reserve, but with what they charge they can easily afford a free “maxi bar”. I was there as an invited guest for one night and agree with you how amazing the place is. Unfortunately the whales weren’t there (wrong time of year) but it did not spoil my enjoyment of the place.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I am under the impression than an increasing number of hotels in Europe are making the minibar free (no liquor, no wine, sometimes beers). I guess it is easier to manage a service that maybe is nowadays less profitable.

On a side note, I used to be a SCC Ambassador. About 15 years ago I stayed at the Amstel for a gig (Robbie Williams) with Ms. SD and friends. Since I booked two rooms (one in my name and one in Ms. SD’s who had a companion card, for some of the friends), the hotel upgraded me in the Royal Suite (the one they didn’t want to give it to pop stars obviously) and gave the adjacent room to the friends. In the fridge (a large one in the kitchen) were two regular bottles of champagne. We were 7 or 8… Good stuff it was! Perfect for a pre-concert drink! Upon check-put though, I had to be insistent though as the hotel wanted to charge these bottles on the ground they forgot to take them out :-).

icenspice
    Participant

On holiday this time last year in Cape Verde, I was amazed to find 4 bottles of spirits (none local) mounted with optics above the fridge. At first I thought surely that is not included in the all-inclusive price….but I was wrong!

capetonianm
    Participant

I happened upon this whilst looking at TA reviews of the Radisson Blue at ZRH

This hotel has installed Mini-Bars that automatically charge if an item is moved. On previous visits I recalled that the Mini-Bar was complimentary except for alcoholic drinks. So, I went back to Reception and asked and I was told that the Mini-Bar WAS NOT included in the room rate.
    I complained about this on the Guest Response Survey after our stay. I got an email back from Front Office Supervisor saying that the items in the Mini-Bar are included! Wouldn’t you think the Reception Desk staff could get something that simple correct, especially at a rate of over CHF300?
    To make this worse the Front Office Supervisor invited me to “Please do let us know if you have any further questions” and then gave me an invalid email address! Her email to me was from “Radisson Blu Hotel Zurich Airport <[email protected]>” which does not allow a response. Very convenient.
    The location of this hotel is brilliant but it is looking a bit tired and there is obviously an indifferent attitude from management.

mkcol74
    Participant

Have just stayed at Intercontinental The Willard.
    Not only was the US$10 per (small) bottle of Schweppes tonic water slightly eye-popping, so was the + sales tax + US$15 restocking fee! If I’d wanted it emptied they were looking for US$35 +tax from me.

I didn’t take them up on either.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SwissExPat
    Participant

okay, I finally got to the Hilton and had the pre-paid minibar experience.

Firstly, it was good to see this thread feature in the business traveller print edition… we must be doing something right!!

I ended up having a very comphensively stocked minibar for the pre-paid lump sum of €28.

The contents were

2* white wine 187.5ml
    2* red wine 187.5ml
    1* Sekt white fizzy wine
    2* local beer 33cl
    2* heineken 33cl
    1* J Walker red 5m
    2* perrier 33cl
    2* Still water 33cl
    2* red bull can
    2* Coca Cola 20ml
    2* Orange Juice 25ml
    2* toblerone
    1* Nuts
    1* Souvenir

All told a very generous minibar helping. The combined “menu” price for all these would be excess €110.

I would do it again!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls