Buying BA Miles

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

FCTraveller
    Participant

For those of you who buy BA miles every year to top up their accounts (still worth doing if you redeem for First and Club World), BA have a promotion on right now, you get an extra 25% free. Promotion ends on November 11th so you better get your skates on.

continentalclub
    Participant

A very timely reminder.

And, in case anyone is wondering, much like the bmi situation when similar Diamond Club bonuses are offered, the bonus has the effect of increasing the maximum number of miles which can be purchased annually by the percentage amount advertised.

I suspect that this will only apply for the duration of the promotion, however.

So, in the BA case, whereas the usual annual purchase maximum is 19,000 BA Miles, it’s currently possible to buy 19,000 and receive a 4,750 bonus, taking the effective purchased total to 23,750 for an outlay of £319.00.

Whilst most would question the value of purchased miles for most rewards, those requiring top-ups or wishing to use ‘Miles for Upgrade’ may find this a very appealing offer indeed.

Also note that all members of a household account can individually take advantage of the offer, so the maximum 6 participants could, in aggregate, acquire 142,500 BA Miles for the account.

FCTraveller
    Participant

Well I’m not sure that I agree that one should question the value of purchased miles for most rewards. For ecomony and premium economy, yes, no doubt. But not so for business and first. This is how I see it. Take your example of Mr. Household who gets his wife and 4 children, in addition to himself, to purchase their maximum number of miles (142,500) at a cost of £1,914. In January he purchases an additional 7,500 for say £126, total cost £2,040. He’s got enough for a first class ticket to LA and as he gets an Amex two for one voucher every year, he can take his wife along (the kids stay at home). Now where else can you find a fully flexible first class ticket to LA for just over £1,000 or £672 in club? Buying miles for business and first travel is well worth it. You’ve got until Wednesday.

VintageKrug
    Participant

An excellent illustration of how to get a couple a round trip ticket to LA or San Francisco (or indeed any North American destination) in First for £1000 each, or http://www.newclubworld.com for £672 each.

Of course you have to add taxes on top of this, but the mileage cost is still less expensive than the cheapest, shareholder discounted sale fares, and has the advanatge of being fully flexible (though still subject to availability).

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is as was mentioned, the final day for this offer.

FCTraveller
    Participant

Can everyone please not tell BA though!

continentalclub
    Participant

Don’t worry FCTraveller! As I said, most people don’t have six people in their HHA, most don’t have a BA Amex, most don’t think to redeem in premium cabins and therefore most don’t see/get the value out of the miles they’ve earnt, let alone the ones that they might buy.

Accordingly, I’m quite sure that neither BA, nor other carriers with similar programmes, are worried about the tiny percentage of folks like us who find the ways to extract maximum value from their programmes. Indeed, they probably know that the presence of such redemption ‘sweet spots’ helps build interest, if not loyalty, and is not, overall, revenue-compromising.

Enjoy LAX!

FCTraveller
    Participant

You’re absolutely right! And it fills an empty seat at whatever price.

NTarrant
    Participant

I have booked miles and Amex voucher to LAX in June and the price including taxes is £648.80 and that is Club World. LAX was not our first choice as we are restricted to certain dates in June and the voucher runs out 3rd July!

Buying miles is probably better value for upgrades from WTP to Club, I purchased the maximum with the 25% at £317.00 which is less than the cost of an upgrade to say NYC or DXB.

VintageKrug
    Participant

A splendid offer, which ends this evening. Just follow the link below, sign into to BAEC account, select whether you want to purchase miles for you or a friend, and the bonus miles awarded are shown on the drop down menu on the following page:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/milepurchase/execclub/_gf/en_gb

continentalclub
    Participant

Starwood have announced a 20% off Starpoints promotion, ending on 31st December.

Buying 20K Starpoints will currently cost c.£340 and net the purchaser 25K BA Miles (or a variety of other airline FF currencies) after conversion. Pay with your BA AmEx and you’ll obviously get up to another 510 BA Miles from the spend.

http://bit.ly/4APJOh

Don’t forget that there’s also a 1K Starpoint bonus per stay until 29/11. Scroll to the bottom of this page http://bit.ly/4mfNw5 to register.

I’ll also post in ‘Hotels’ if that’s OK.

Adriana83
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I lived in London for 5 years,now I moved back home to Brazil and I still have 57.000 Ba miles ,I dont plan to go to London any time soon,as I am really busy with work here in Brazil.

Does anyone know how could I sell or exchange my Ba miles?

Kind regards.

Adriana

Adriana83
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I lived in London for 5 years,now I moved back home to Brazil and I still have 57.000 Ba miles ,I dont plan to go to London any time soon,as I am really busy with work here in Brazil.

Does anyone know how could I sell or exchange my Ba miles?

Kind regards.

Adriana

continentalclub
    Participant

Adriana83 it is not possible to sell or exchange miles, although it is possible to use them to buy a ticket for someone else. Taxes, fees and charges will still be due.

In your situation however, it may make more sense to use them for an award on a oneworld partner airline, flying from Brazil.

More details here:

http://bit.ly/bzHbnj

Cwyfan
    Participant

Is there a particular time of year when BA gives a bonus on miles bought, and is the extra always the same percentage?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls