Buy on Board Comparison, BA v easyJet

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

• Agamemnon
    Participant

A quick query as regards BoC, can anyone please tell me what constitutes a short and or mid-haul flight for BA.

I’ve been told that flights I’ve booked to Paphos later this year (4.5-5hrs) will be BoB, but then a friend flew to Moscow last week which took 3.5hrs and he got the old-style drinks and half a sandwich service. Is there any way of finding out which routes are classified as short and which are mid?

dutchyankee
    Participant

Agamemnon, others on this forum who fly BA more than I do can probably explain better as I have now completely stopped flying BA, however, when I was living in the RF BA started to use long haul aircraft on their DME routes which may then have caused a more traditional meal service. I know some of those flights have now reverted to narrowbody short haul aircraft so not sure if there is a differential depending on the aircraft used. I imagine competition also matters and I know SU serve a full hot meal service, and finally, of course, the price point on flights to the RF are typically quite high. It used to infuriate me the poor level of service BA offered on flights out of LED with fares equal to their flights out of DME but with no direct nonstop competition they could get away with it. I guess the others can advise if Moscow is treated as short haul or a special case depending on aircraft, now in light of BoB.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Moscow is a World Traveller route, but the food is downgraded to a sandwich.

Paphos is a Eurotraveller route, so is buy on board.

London-Moscow is 1,586 miles

London-Paphos is 2,002 miles

As they say, go figure. If I had to venture an opinion, I’d say strong competition on the Moscw route (so BA offers F and flat bed J, as well as W and Y on some flights – flat bed J andY on others), much less competition to Paphos.

fastphil
    Participant

This evenings BA Fuertventura/Gatwick (longer than Paphos or Moscow routes) again had no fresh food, limited dry snacks and very limited drinks. The promises from BA for BOB have created appropriate expectations from its customers which are nowhere near being met.
    Being left unexpectedly hungry for 4 hours is neither pleasant or healthy.
    I feel sorry for the crew being denied the ability to serve their customers.
    It’s interesting that BA don’t trust their staff to handle cash except when it comes to the charity collection for ‘Flying Start’ when only cash is accepted!

Agamemnon
    Participant

Ok great thanks FDOS_UK. As you say it doesn’t make much sense given the distances, but maybe it’s down to route competition.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls