Buy on Board Comparison, BA v easyJet

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Having flown 4 domestic sectors (MAN-LHR-MAN) on BA and 2 recent easyJet sectors to Italy and back, I thought it would be interesting to compare the differences. To be fair, I would not BoB on a 35 minute flight, no matter who was operating it.

Payment

BA accepts Avios or credit/debit cards – no cash

easyJet accepts amex, mastercard and visa credit and debit cards, also sterling and euros in cash form.

Prices

Here are comparisons for what I actually consumed on easyJet v equivalent BA offers

Two bottles of red wine: BA £9.00 (£4.50 per glass), easyJet £8.00 (£4.00 per glass)

Heinz tomato soup: BA not available, easyjet £2.50

Couscous and lentil pot: BA not available, easyJet £2.70

Speed

The BA POS system seems cumbersome and slow, from observation, whereas easyJet have been doing this for years and it took no more than 30-40 seconds to pay by debit card.

Conclusion

easyJet are the pros in this area, a wider selection and good prices.

Anyone used to easyjet or Norwegian would be likely disappointed by the BA BoB experience.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

i would question anyone boarding Easyjet and orders soup!

esselle
    Participant

Have you tried the coffee on BA?

You have to drink it through a little slot in the lid which acts as a filter for the grounds.

Never seen a system like it. Not recommended.

openfly
    Participant

@esselle
    I agree with your comments re the baby beaker coffee cup! My objection to it is the fact that the crew have to use the palm of their unwashed hand to force the lid on…and then you drink from the peculiar lip. I ask the crews for a plastic glass and pour the coffee through the lid filter into the glass. I also complained last time about the amount of water in the coffee cup…very little. Rip off!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=791580]i would question anyone boarding Easyjet and orders soup!

[/quote]

Why?

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

thought BA BOB was too slow & a little cumbersome for the length of the flight (LHR-EDI)

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=791654]thought BA BOB was too slow & a little cumbersome for the length of the flight (LHR-EDI)

[/quote]

I believe that the POS equipment is part of the reason for this, it looks awkward to use and seems slow to process sales.

747foreverforus
    Participant

It’s dreadful, contactless now seems to be working but it’s still taking 2 to 3 mins per transaction, and it appears that it needs two people to serve one person, longer if you want a receipt

esselle
    Participant

In conversation with some senior folk from SAS this week, and the BA BOB piece came up.

They told that they had included tea, coffee and water as to be paid for when they went over to BOB, but that the level of complaints was so high they reverted to those drinks being free. Apparently that reverse of thinking made their pax very happy.

“We take your feedback very seriously”……..

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

I am sure it’ll improve over time as the crew get used to it (still relatively new)

suggested improvements would be the acceptance of cash and a complimentary drink for silver and above

finally, i paid for my G&T with avios points, one week on, not been deducted from my account, cheers (it’s either very slow or doesn’t work, anyone else experience this)

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=791817]I am sure it’ll improve over time as the crew get used to it (still relatively new)
    [/quote]

I’m sure that crew familiarity will increase, but the POS system (point of sale, for the avoidance of doubt) looks as if it will be an ongoing constraint – as 747foreverforus states.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

If I’m not at the pointy end, then sod BOB, I do BBF (buy before flying) and I stock up at Costa, Pret-a-Manger or whoever provides decent nosh. In an era when ready-made Pimms is available in a can, I fail to see just what the big deal is. Personally, what irked me most was the piles of either unopened or half-eaten crap-in-a-wrap being packed up for disposal. That really did offend me.

Tramor01
    Participant

@esselle I remember the furore on SAS when during the early days of BOB passengers would ask for a glass of water only to be told no, but you can buy a bottle for 20DKR.
    If you’re a Diamond Card holder flying in economy on SAS, not only are you offered a free drink (including alcohol on international flights) but one travelling companion or up to 4 family members can also have a free drink.
    Something for BA to consider for gold card holders, but I won’t hold my breath.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Not sure if it’s still the same today … but back in 2013 Norwegian relaxed some of its BOB rules for long-haul flights.

http://www.thelocal.no/20130619/norwegian-airline-to-offer-free-water-on-long-flights

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Re: coffee, it sounds like BA has a similar cup / lid as Ryanair.
    Not flown BA short haul since BOB introduced, but the coffee Ryanair serves, IMHO, is about the best I’ve had at 35,000 ft. Never had an issue with the lid, though to pour milk in, there is a relatively small pop up flap in the lid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls