Busman’s holiday suggestions welcome!

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

http://www.villadeste.com/ is a superb suggestion, though the pool does sway unnervingly in the lake! I still have a (paid for!) bath mat with the crest on as a memento.

Annoyingly, Italian ATC grounded one of our helicopters, though some of us managed to make it to Switzerland in the other one from the helipad in the grounds for a “Sound of Music” picnic – ATC required the return journey to be via Milan to clear customs, which rather SNAFU’d the plan, but you live and learn! I don’t think they were too happy about the whole thing!

SNAFU?

Zippo…bargainacious. It’s good to see that the English language is evolving.

Please tell me what SNAFU stands for… I’m sure I will love it.

Have just discovered it, and will remember it.

Yes, you live and learn…in theory!

SwissExPat
    Participant

Thanks All.

Some good stuff to further investigation.

We have done a few EuroCity Line overnights on the train either to or from Zurich. (Also did Chicago to San Fran) hence the penchant for overnight train travel to an interesting location.

Usually we simply go BA F to west coast and enjoy SFO, Napa , cast highway etc…. But we simply don’t want the long haul.

Loved a visit a few years back to Iona in west Scotland so thought o go back.

We’ll keep planning.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Hi Swiss

Don’t know if you’ve considered, but Skye is a favourite of mines, I’m scheduled to go back again at the end of March.

Proper Scottish hospitality, some nice places to stay too, history with the castles/McLeod’s seat and of course, the obligatory distillery. IMO it has enough ‘tourism’ to make it interesting without it taking away from the natural beauty and charm of a time-gone-by, you can further explore the Hebridean islands from Skye should you so wish and take a gigantic step-back in time.

I spend a lot of social time in Edinburgh too which is just a terrific city, lastly, if you can you should try a trip to the northern tip of Scotland (Wick/Thurso) if you like a drive has some of the most beautiful coastal roads.

If you are coming in summer make sure to pack shorts…..and a winter jacket….and an umbrella…and suntan lotion…..

Regards.
    AOTG.

Papillion53
    Participant

And don’t forget the midge spray – I thoroughly recommend Avon Skin So Soft Original spray – does a fantastic job of keeping the little blighters at bay without all that nasty deet stuff!

Edited to add: http://www.threechimneys.co.uk

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Aye, loads of midge-spray (or midgeeeee spray to give them their accurate name).

There’s also a Michelin Star restaurant on Skye now (as well as the excellent three-chimney’s) at the Kinloch Lodge. We’re staying at Kinloch’s sister property and very much looking forward to needing my elastic troosers when I get home!

Regards.
    AOTG.
    *Disclamier* Does not own elastic-waisted troosers.

Papillion53
    Participant

AOTG – LOL! you would be in good company with those breeks!

canucklad
    Participant

Hi SwissExPat……

If you are leaning towards your first thoughts of Scotland , then can I suggest that you indicate some of you’re likes and dislikes when you go on holiday…..

I’m sure that your felow BT posters, that have Scottish connections (Me, Papillion, Tom, AOTG, and apologies to anyone I’ve forgotten) will be able advise on personal favorites all over “god’s country” as Papillion and me describes “the home country”

i.e If you don’t like pubs there is no pont me recommending the maddest pub in the land ” the drovers” at the top end of Loch Lomond…..

BT Tartan Mafia…..Whats your thoughts ? .

VintageKrug
    Participant

You can celebrate your Scotchness by visiting the Royal Yacht!

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Swissexpat

Personally, I rather enjoyed the Caledonian sleeper up to Inverness when we last did it. Sure, it’s not exactly the Blue Train or the Venice-Samplon but it’s an agreeable way of getting up to the Highlands and you can car hire locally. There is a single daytime through train daily from Kings’ Cross (dep 12:00) up to Inverness (arr. 20:08) and the scenery from Perth up through the Cairngorms, past the highest point on the UK rail network, is stunning. The alternative is changing trains at Waverley station in Edinburgh.

Have you thought of Scotch distillery tours? There are some marvellous distilleries on Speyside for starters and there are plenty of distilleries in the Highlands and islands. I recall a very agreeable tour of Talisker on Skye.

Get onto the National Trust for Scotland website and join up for access to some marvellous properties and landscapes.

Thought of going back with some proper Scottish garb: Campbells of Beauly (at the top end of the Beauly Firth) is a trip down memory lane. Wonderfully old-fashioned – and all the better for it. They will make to measure using the most gorgeous Scottish spun tweeds, plaids and tartans:

http://www.campbellsofbeauly.co.uk/index.html

I would add Ullapool to any itinerary: it’s a lovely drive and once there, you have the Caledonian MacBrayne services to Stornaway:

http://www.calmac.co.uk/destinations

Papillion53
    Participant

Canucklad. – Tartan Mafia – LOL! well count me in! I am always happy to share any information if it helps.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Next on the list has to be http://www.rovos.com

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

The Tartan Mafia issued the following statement:

Being biased I’d recommend Islay although there isn’t that much else to do / see than distilleries, and access isn’t ideal – 2-hour ferry from Kennacraig on the Mull of Kintyre, which is a fairly long up and down drive from Glasgow. You can fly from GLA though, after the overnight sleeper! In summer there is a weekly ferry from Oban. The Harbour Inn opposite the distillery in central Bowmore is lovely for food and rooms, ties with a pub of the same name in Osaka!

Was out for an afternoon stroll along the beach in Nairn on the first nice day of 2013 today. Highland Games there in August (2nd Saturday I think), with the Bandstand Bar right opposite the park, expect to queue to get served!

I also like the coast from Northumberland (ok that’s not tartan but they do play some kind of pipes) all the way up to outside Aberdeen, East Coast first class from Newcastle all the way – midweek though, the F&B service at weekends is much less – is lovely, with a few short inland sections thrown in so you still check your emails! Some coastal paths on the route too, including a bit in Fife where you have to hold on to chains – the TM would advise getting back on the train!

Tick the box of flying to Barra beach before they take it off altogether, build a tarmac runway, or the Twin Otter runs out of spare parts. For an aviation themed challenge, head for Orkney and Shetland where bagging flights to some of the outer islands is a bit of a lottery, certain days of the week only and they can be charters / subject to demand. I once managed Unst but think that was scheduled as there’s a RAF base. Whalsay, Papa Stour and Out Skerries were well out of reach. Fair Isle and Foula were fogbound! Same on Orkney, although more flights generally including the famous Westray-Papay 2 minute sector.

Think you can still get a freedom of Scotland ticket for the trains and ferries, probably not the sleeper though. The Highland line from Perth – Inverness is scenic as others have mentioned, again much better on the sole East Coast service ref above (also under threat for some time), the Scotrail 170s are rubbish.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls