Business vs. Economy: The Growing Gap Between the Haves and the Have-Nots

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Things have certainly improved up front over the past few decades, but apart from improved IFE, the cheap seats haven’t seen similar improvements. Is it time to focus back on the economy flyer?

Worth a read:

http://skift.com/2013/03/23/coach-and-business-classes-are-farther-apart-than-ever-before/

Andrew66
    Participant

Interesting read there VK, from a British point of view I think the growth of the low cost carriers has had a detrimental effect on economy seats on scheduled airlines and even charters like thomson and monarch , people were very much driven by the cheap prices offered and those airlines had to change and cut free services to compete , I now think that some of the low cost carriers have become expensive at certain times especially when you add on the extras you require ( like I’m going on holiday for a week , of course I want to take some clothes ) for instance a case in the hold .
    A couple of years ago I flew to Cuba with Virgin , I managed the upgrade to PE up in the bubble and it was lovely , on the way back we had to fly economy overnight and it was just awful , and just before landing they served that dreadful squished manky toastie thing , that just made realise that if I flew long haul or over 5 hours it had to business style travel , economy is fine short haul , I think many leisure travellers and even business travellers in these hard economic times would fly economy if the seat width and pitch was just increased a bit and that could be offset by slightly increasing prices , I don’t think people are bothered too much about IFE , they’re all to busy with their iPads , I think if good quality food and drink was available at sensible prices they would be happy to pay for that , easyjet do the best coffee I’ve had on any airline and I was happy to pay for it , I think people just want a bit more room and that would be in my opinion the best way to give something more to the economy traveller .

TominScotland
    Participant

The economy experience varies greatly according to where you sit and who is seated close by. Flew BA10 from Bangkok to Heathrow in Economy on Friday night – flying time of 11’55” of which I slept 9’30”. No complaints about comfort or service at all. I have short legs (that certainly helps) but am somewhat broader of beam than I was a few years ago. The cabin was very quiet whenever i was awake so all in all a very positive experience. My next long-haul Economy flight is with Cathay so will be interested to make the comparison….

stevescoots
    Participant

its been a long time since I flew economy in any distance (over 4 hours) last time was CX from NRT to HKG…my god, never again.I am not tall, just a knats short of 6 foot and just over 14 stone but I had to sit with my legs askew and on the side of my but as there was zero legroom and the seat was as hard as a London underground seat! previous times about 8 years ago were Mumbai to London on BA economy and SFO to LHR on virgin economy. terrible in both cases. not because of service or food etc but the seats, too hard and zero room

lloydah
    Participant

Agree with Andrew about space and food offerings. A Virgin flight from Boston a few years back was the last time I tried economy, never again. It was simply the fact that the space between me and the rest of humanity was practically zero that made me want to bail out almost before take off. I will fly eco. in Europe if pushed but only if pushed. Thankfully as we no longer have the boys in tow Mrs L and I can travel in more comfort for leisure than we did before. My view is now – If I can’t afford the pointy end I don’t go.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Well, the response to the grim experience of prole class at the rear with having your knees up under your chin for however many hours is Premium Economy. For those of us who pay our own fares rather than have corporate bureaucracies do it for them, this is a reasonable compromise between price and comfort.

stevescoots
    Participant

Well I pay my own fare, shuttling back and forth to Asia from UK every month it would be a false economy for me to travel economy class. usually after the long flight I land, shower and go strait into the office so minimal down time. not to mention the ability to work while flying increased possibility of health issues such as DVT with being cramped up so many times a month

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

My only experience of economy in as long as I care to remember is UK domestic travel and then only since BD withdrew C from the cabins.

It’s quite bad enough for the time it takes to get to ABZ without prolonging the experience though I have to say having tried Easyjet a few times the LGW experience generally improves the overall feel rather than the horrors of T5.

In almost all cases I’ve started using the train, far more relaxed and pleasant and a first class ticket is generally the same price as a BA ticket and a far more pleasant experience.

Stringfellow
    Participant

I share the poster above’s delight in train travel today. I make a regular trips to Paris, Cologne and Vienna with the HS train always my first option.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I do think train travel is excellent for journeys under 3 hours; above that and it can be tedious.

I travelled domestically recently, and took the train home; clean, fast, on time with pleasant staff and remarkably cost-effective.

Excellent Afternoon Tea, as well!

canucklad
    Participant

VK…..I assume you travel 1st class, because in my experiance rail travel in the UK is over priced and absolutely not a great experiance…….

Try paying over £100 to travel from Derby to the Waverely , just to have the privalege of standing for most of the journey!

On the matter of “Y” versus “C”…….What airlines don’t get is this…….Treat the majority with disdain and the majority will revolt and not fly ……..and without full “Y” cabins there is no point flying premium passengers only!

lloydah
    Participant

Further to your comment canucklad, I frequently travel Cambridge-Kings Cross. Given up buying First tickets because I end up standing anyway. I would have thought it wasn’t beyond the wit of man (or women) to sell the number of tickets for the number of seats especially as there’s very few F seats on a train. And their prices make air travel look cheap.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I wouldn’t consider economy on the train.

Why ever would you put yourself through that????

canucklad
    Participant

Yes, How very silly of me VK…..

Should have realised…..oh company travel policy I’m afraid!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls