Business trip to Moscow

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

Just as an aside to this, what about if you want to travel to the World Cup this summer, would each and everyone who intends to travel need to jump through the same hoops? Not that I intend to go you understand, why go through the grief to see your team fail miserably again!!!!!!

The same question is asked for visas to India please state all the countries you have been to in the last 10 years and then stops after you’ve named 10 or so and that for me was just last month!!!

Are the visa forms on line as they are in India’s case?

I am fully sympathetic to Marc_ACB and his feelings towards the bigotry that the Russian Government has shown in the past and present to the LGBT community, there is nothing worse than just feeling unsettled in a country with views like that. However as also a Gay man I have spent a lot of time in Russia and have never had to deal with any form of prejudice as I just keep a low profile and you will be fine… I say to him don’t let their archaic views stop you from anything you want to do anywhere ……

Andrew
    Participant

I’ve travelled on business to Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kazan and Sochi many times over the last 10 years. No issues at all. Just don’t go mentioning anything about the current political issues, or saying negative comments about Putin, etc. You’ll be fine.

KennyK14
    Participant

Be aware that, due to the expulsion of a number of their diplomats, the Russian Consulate is now processing urgent visas in 6 days (previously 24 hours), and standard service is now 20 days instead of 6 days.
    And yes, they do still offer multi-entry visas.
    Generally, I find Moscow a very safe city, and I echo the points above that you should avoid political discussions, if possible, but, if the conversation turns to politics, remain neutral. Russians like it when you criticise your own government’s (i.e. Western) politics, and they will often start criticising their own (in private, of course).

Chris
    Participant

Thanks Kennyk14

It is the visa situation which has eventually done for this trip, although with BoJo’s comments yesterday I wasnt feeling altogether disappointed if Im honest.

Thanks everyone for their advice and guidance.

The irony is i have a BA companion voucher trip booked with my wife later this year, Bolshoi in Moscow, o/night train to St Petersburg etc but hopefully things would have calmed down by then and I will have more time to arrange this visa.

Krsnp
    Participant

Hello,

Just want to comment on the requirement to list down all countries visited in the past 10 years. I recently visited the UK for the first time, and was asked the same question when filling up the visa application form (yes, also with the entry & exit dates!) I’m not as well travelled as the majority of you guys, but I’ve been travelling to at least 5 countries every year for the past maybe 4 years. I stopped once I reached the last blank space (number 10). I later came to know that the list is expandable, and was afraid my application would be declined. Received the visa nonetheless, but not sure if it would’ve still been the case had they decided to dig deeper into my profile. My mom (who was travelling with me but applied for her visa from back home) was asked to also include a verified translation of her national ID, family registration card, and her birth certificate (!) along with all the other documents.

So yeah, not ranting, but we’re used to such a treatment being a citizen of a third world country…

Andrew
    Participant

There are good fast train services from all 3 major airports – see aeroexpress.ru. You could book your trusted driver from the downtown station of whichever one you are using.

Travelling4Fun
    Participant

I lived/worked in Moscow for three and a half years – just as sanctions started. The Russians are enormously friendly and generous when you get to know them but I advised my colleagues to do as I did and not discuss politics etc.. Within a few weeks of our opening in Moscow all expat staff were stopped at various times by strangers asking questions like “what do you think of Moscow” or “What do you think about the Ukrainian situation” etc., etc.. and some were further intimidated by officials with document checks – but we all got through because common sense prevailed. I have enormously happy feelings about my time there – and I only left because I could not stand working for the UK Company which owned 80% of the organisation I worked for. Don’t put too much faith in the Embassy if you get into trouble – but feel secure with the better hospitals which are very good…… at a price.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=857648]I would feel totally fine though possibly the smiles at immigration could be a fraction narrower than usual.[/quote]

According to Senior Offspring (who is studying Russian and Chinese at university and has been to Russia twice in the last year), don’t expect smiles anywhere. She says it is simply not in Russian culture to smile at strangers. And if you smile at them, they’ll think you’re weird. Or mad. Or both.

GivingupBA
    Participant

IanfromHkg said [quote] According to Senior Offspring (who is studying Russian and Chinese at university and has been to Russia twice in the last year), don’t expect smiles anywhere. She says it is simply not in Russian culture to smile at strangers. And if you smile at them, they’ll think you’re weird. Or mad. Or both.[/quote]

Thanks Ian. My post about smiles at Russian immigration was actually tongue in cheek/ ironic! – based on my memory of going through immigration at Moscow airport.

By the way I really enjoyed your paint shop prices joke on the other thread.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

The “list every country you have visited in the last 10 years” routine is only there because the UK asks something similar of potential Russian visitors. Thank the Home Office in the days when Mrs M ruled there.

Of course, if you are an oligarch with millions of dollars of dubious origin it may be easier to get into the UK….

On a serious note, it is a great and generally very safe city with fascinating people. The immigration officer once almost produced a smile, even.

smalljenny
    Participant

Yes, everything will be fine.
    Just remember that the mentality of people is slightly different.
    I advise you to have a bite at a restaurant or a cafe, but you are looking for a simpler he bottom will be tastier.
    blog about some russian food.
    And be careful in the subway .!!!.

KennyK14
    Participant

More info on visa situation:
    Whilst there is a significant delay on processing visas at the consulate in London, I just renewed my multi-entry visa in Edinburgh, where there are no delays at all.

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

I was in Russia a few weeks ago, and will be going again soon. I have a multiple entry business visa, which is great, as it gives the freedom to make trips at very short notice. Don’t worry about Russians not smiling – they don’t when they have a serious job to do. Don’t worry either about the list of recently visited countries on the visa application form. Mine included Ukraine and Georgia, and I still got the visa! Like any big city, Moscow is different to the rest of the country, where international political issues are less to the fore. Russians and Americans are very similar in many ways: Just avoid subtlety, irony, innuendo and humour, and you’ll be understood fine.

capetonianm
    Participant

My sister and hubby have asked my advice regarding a holiday to Russia (St Petersburg and Moscow) in August, which they booked before the latest shenanigans. I have suggested that unless either the FO advise against all travel to Russia, or the Consulate refuse to give a visa, they should have no concerns at all about undertaking the trip. They will be part of a group booked via a large and reputable UK travel company.

Any views on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

Hi capetonianm. August is a nice time to visit, albeit verging on warm. Many Russians will have left the steamy city for some respite at their country cottages – even the inhabitants of the tiniest city apartment have a glorified shed in the country. Traffic will also be lighter, and the metro less crowded. Russian midges are industrial in size, strength and voracity, so any time outside the cities requires suitable protection. Moscow taxi drivers can be equally voracious, so stick where possible to the metro, buses and trams, which are cheap and easy to use for independent travel. Hope your relatives have a lovely time.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls