Business travel return to the US – Any Tips out there?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• workerbee
    Participant

I am a UK resident and have an E2 business visa to work in the US, I have a letter from my US employer classifying me as “essential worker”. I have had 5 rejections since April from the US Embassy in London for a waiver to travel. Delta Airline Liaison group have no power to get European folk back across the pond. I am reading more international flights are resuming from UK and Europe to the US but am puzzled as to who is exactly travelling.
    I may be forced to travel to a country currently not on the US Proclamation ban and spend 14 days self isolation before flying to onto the US to do the same. Is there any tips/advice out there for the best route to achieve this?
    Sounds desperate but my job is on the line if I do not start to make some effort to return in advance of Mr Trump lifting the travel restrictions.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am reading more international flights are resuming from UK and Europe to the US but am puzzled as to who is exactly travelling.

I have been equally puzzled, especially as Virgin Atlantic started selling tickets to new USA destinations ex London recently to start flying again from 21st July, 9 days time. Both BA and VS have been flying scheduled services TO the USA throughout the pandemic. They must have been pretty empty….

You may find this thread interesting.

US travel bans lift?

Good luck and please let us know if you make it back to the USA.

workerbee
    Participant

Thanks for the link.
    So in a further bid to get back to the US I researched the IATA International COVID travel restricitons map, link below. The Caribbean Islands show more positive signs in lifting their restrictions. OK I thought, I will book a package holiday, complete 14 days isolation to qualify me for an onward flight direct into the US and at the same time have a hotel with some comforts……..then my travel agent news that no package holidays (long haul) until late August/September.
    It would appear that there is no news or indicators coming out of the Trump camp to indicate the lifting of restrictions for business travelers ahead of the general ESTA tourist.
    Feels like a long British summer to endure…..

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

GBAIR72
    Participant

Surely your employer must understand the situation. If the US authorities Say you cannot travel and you can provide this to your employer surely they need to make arrangements to work from home.

Do you really want to work for an employer that is so inflexible and Unempathetic?

My American employers have been awesome I got stuck abroad they DHl’d (Not sure if that’s a word) a laptop to me so I could continue working.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am as puzzled, in my case over the number of flights to and from ZA, mostly ME, but also LHR CDG AMS on BA VS AF KL. Since it seems that no traffic other than repatriations is allowed, I am mystified.
    I believe they may be operating as cargo but many of them have the usual scheduled flight numbers.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Who is your travel agent?

BA resume flights to the Caribbean from Gatwick in a few days time. You can then pick up a flight from there to the US say 15 days later. I doubt an agent would take risk of packaging it so it was full ATOL but if your company has a Business Agent it can be put together so non-ATOL. Or you get flights from BA and book accommodation with someone else?

You can book BA into Caribbean and back from US and if any issues if travel by August then use the “book with confidence” policy to avoid the change penalty and just pay any fare differences should you have to come back from Caribbean or some reason.

If critical to get into US it can be done (go to Dubai for a couple of weeks or somewhere else you can be productive work wise potentially) but like above – surprised your employer/client is not being very understanding

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Tim, is the USA border entry restrictions for UK nationals:

1. without residency (i.e. no green card) or

2. UK nationals without residency from flights departing only from UK/Europe.

Can UK passport holders enter the USA from a non restricted departure point, outside Europe?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Martyn

This is the link:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

With specific exceptions, foreign nationals who have been in any of the following countries during the past 14 days may not enter the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.
    China

Iran

European Schengen area

(Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
    United Kingdom

(England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
    Republic of Ireland

Brazil

So I read this that you could enter the US as a foreign national through the applicable US airports (so UK passport for example) provided you have been in Caribbean for example or Dubai (as flights going to US on Emirates). You’d probably need to ensure you have proof well documented as getting the airline to accept you for travel might be a challenge.

I don’t know anyone who has tried the work around – be good to hear if anyone has done it or knows first hand of someone who has.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BAGoldcard
    Participant

Surely your employer must understand the situation. If the US authorities Say you cannot travel and you can provide this to your employer surely they need to make arrangements to work from home.

Do you really want to work for an employer that is so inflexible and Unempathetic?

My American employers have been awesome I got stuck abroad they DHl’d (Not sure if that’s a word) a laptop to me so I could continue working.

I don’t think it is word or more specifically a verb.

My company sent a laptop by DHL is more grammatically correct! LOL

But seriously, it is good that your company has been supporting you!

J_Pathmore
    Participant

I know a few South Africans that have traveled back to the US but that doesn’t really help. However, I know of people that have traveled through Mexico / other central American countries.

Trump won’t lift the ban on Europe until Europe does the same. At this point it’s out of his hands. Mike Pompeo (foreign secretary) was quoted last week saying they’re closing working with the EU to come to an agreement. I assume some kind of testing restriction would apply.

My opinion is that Europe and the US – but especially Europe – are losing a lot with these bans in place. However they can’t possibly reopen normally… so I think what we’ll see is a special set of rules that only apply to travelers from the US. The US will get preferential treatment in some form. That said, if there are a host of testing requirements, it will still limit the demand.

Absurd that 6 months in there hasn’t been a way to allow travel even with restrictions.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Trump won’t lift the ban on Europe until Europe does the same.

But the UK borders have never been closed to US citizens, personally, i wish they were…

2 users thanked author for this post.

fatbear
    Participant

usually tips are obligatory in the US !

workerbee
    Participant

Tim,
    Thanks for the advice, I had no considered Dubai as a an ex work colleague had just finished work there last month (COVID forced redundancy) where the restrictions where extreme(permits required to go shopping) and full lockdown, no outdoor excercise. However on checking I see Dubai tourists are allowed entry but with negative COVID test 96 hrs prior to arrival and health insurance. (Again this is available info on the AITA COVID restrictions map.
    https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Thankyou also for the update on the update of BA flights to the Caribbean. I feel booking the flight and organizing my own accommodation (non-ATOL) may be the the only option.
    As I watch the virus rates increase in Georgia, I am beginning to weigh up the risks of travel etc versus working from home in Old Blighty.

workerbee
    Participant

GBAIR72

Thankyou for your post. My employer, like yours, has been very considerate. I got stuck in the UK just before the US ban as I had traveled through Amsterdam (Schengen) for a family vist. They have allowed me to work from home throughout on reduced hrs, which is great considering the huge redundancies all around us.
    Like everyone I speak to in this predicament, there is a natural concern about ones position when others in the US are actually returning to work from furlough.

jjlasne
    Participant

LOL.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls