Business to New Zealand

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

amadeaus
    Participant

I wonder what their airline Air NZ is like on business, does anyone know?

We want to travel business class London – Auckland return & wonder what the local airline is like having not been able to find anyone who has travelled on it. Can anyone enlighten us ? A stop would be great in either Dubai, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Shanghai, Sydney. Any popinters would be very gratefully received. Ta in advance

amadeaus
    Participant

Can anyone inform us as to the standard of Air NZ for a flight from London to Auckland and return ? I have not found anyone who has travelled on this airlines BUSINESS CLASS.

We would like a stop in either Dubai, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bangkok,
    Sydney. What is the best airline for business travel down under. Ta in advance

frustratedflyer
    Participant

ANZ Bus class is good and very similar to Virgin or Jet Airways. You could look at Cathay but this is unlikely to have their new product on the whole route. Other such as QA mean an extra stop so ANZ looks a good choice to me.

rickjacko
    Participant

I travelled in Air NZ Business from London to Auckland in Sept 05 via LA & Tahiti. London – LA leg was excellent. Seating very comfortable, beds the same. Food, Drinks, Entertainment & Service excellent.
    LA – Tahiti – Auckland leg not so good. Old business class seating, no flat bed but still service, food etc good.

Return leg – Auckland, LA, LHR direct was on flat beds and would recomend it to anyone. The product is identical to Virgin Upper Class. Air NZ have a license to use the Virgin product but have branded it with their colours. (Incidentally I recently flew LHR – Miami Virgin Upper Class and due to the age of the interior the seating and colour looked a little tired!)

Need to also add here the cost of the Air NZ trip was excellent and good value for money on the route downunder.

Business Traveller replies:

As rickojacko correctly points out, Air New Zealand licenses its fully-flat product in Business Premier from Virgin. To read Business Traveller’s reviews of the ANZ Business Premier and premium economy offering, visit http://www.businesstraveller.com/tried-and-tested/airlines/air-new-zealand.

TravelerNZ
    Participant

Hi, I have been in Air New Zealand Buss Premier a few times, I have always found it excellent, I recently had 10 flights from NZ – Asia- Canada-USA – Asia- NZ, all in Buss or First and Air NZ was the best of them all, Seating is the same as Virgin Atlantic in the hearingbone configiration so private and a fully flat bed, I am 6 2″ & plenty of space for me!, Service & food & NZ wines excellent, very New Zealand, friendly etc, I would deffinitly reccommend Bussiness Premier on Air NZ.

TravelerNZ
    Participant

Air NZ does daily,
    London – Hong Kong – Auckland
    &
    London – LA – Auckland
    Hong Kong would be my choice as LA…say no more!

TravelerNZ
    Participant

Air NZ doesn’t do this leg any more (code shares with Air Tahiti Nui)
    Air NZ from UK – NZ is in 777 200ER’s or 747-400’s so these have the fully lie flat beds.

Bollcat
    Participant

Have flown LHR – AUK several times with Air New Zealand and have always had a good experience. Their business premier product would leave me to book with ANZ on this route evrey time. There are 2 ways to get there either through Los Angeles or HK & I go through HK as you aren’t required to get off the aircraft as you are in LA. Another option would be with Emirates so you could stop off at Dubai. Their flight to NZ routes through Sydney so takes longer but is still a good product. You didn’t mention stopping off in Singapore but if that’s an option then consider Singapore Airlines as their new Business class product is excellent although you may get the older version – still good! – on the SIN – AUK route. Personally I would choose the ANZ option every time for the product and direct routing.

Kennethpw
    Participant

Other than CX…
    Air New Zealand B744, London-Hong Kong-Auckland

Virgin Atlantic A346, London-Hong Kong-Sydney, then NZ/EK* to Auckland
    VS, Hong Kong-London,10 times weekly from end of Oct, will be increase to twice daily from 5Dec

*EK(B777-300ER) in case you prefer to stay overnight in SYD on the way back to London as you cannot connect with VS on the same day via HKG to LHR. You can also enjoy their complimentary Chaffeur Drive service(Also available for First and Business on Trans Tasman route) Did try Emirates business class between Hong Kong and Dubai(B777-300/B777-300ER), good service, Chaffeur Drive service in Dubai is great

LondonGuy
    Participant

Air NZ has one of the best economy and premium economy cabins in the sky – and their business premier follows on from that – it is excellent.

The easiest and shortest route would be a London – Auckland with a stop in either LA or Hong Kong – this would be with Air NZ. I’ve done the flight were my agent split the airlines. London to LA with Virgin and then LA to Auckland with Air NZ. I think you’d be able to do the same through Hong Kong.

I think Virgin has the best business class (Upper Class) of all airlines – Virgin don’t have first class on any of their flights so they’ve gone for a class between first and business with their Upper.

If you are open to airlines, go for Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines – they are 5-star airlines compared to Air NZ being a 4-star. If you want to stop in Dubai and Sydney, go with Emirates as you can then stop off at both. Emirates don’t have the best business class – its one of the poorest (no fully flat beds) so if you want a good business class, avoid them.

Last thing – not many know this but BA and Qantas can combine their flights so you can do a London-LA with British Airways and then LA-Auckland with Qantas but if you are doing this route, I’d go with Virgin and Air NZ. Just suggested it if you have a frequent flyer card with either of them.

nzcowgirl
    Participant

I would highly recommend Air NZ over all other airlines – great timings, great routing (especially via Hong Kong), great service, great seat which converts to lie flat bed, great inflight entertainment – you can choose your own movies music etc, starting from the time you get on the aircraft to the time you get off (you don’t have to wait until you are in the air). They have also won a few awards recently for their business class and service:

– Best Star Alliance Business Class product and service (Star Alliance quarterly survey December 2007)

– Best Airline to the South Pacific, Australia and NZ (Business Traveller Magazine)

– Australasia’s Leading Business Class Airline – World Travel Awards

– Best Value Long Haul – Conde Nast Traveller

– Several awards for best Business Class wines in the UK Cellars in the Sky Awards

AussieM
    Participant

These Awards given to Airlines, are very dubious sometimes!
    Many are given to pretty average Airlines, often voted or sponsored by businesses who appear rather biased, or regions voting for their own local Airlines!!!

We all know who the more independant awards are, those voted more by a truly international passenger group.
    We all also know the good airlines around, the financially secure, the reputable service, food, age of the aircraft, lounge facilities, ground services.

Some Airlines have dared to be a little different, such as Virgin, Etihad, pushing forwards services & seating ahead of the others. I have also flown Air NZ, & have to say their food & staff service was excellent, the seating not as private for travelling solo as say Etihad. I prefer the staggered arrangements rather than diag. for business seating.
    Singapore have always been seen deservedly as the best in the world, & they appear to retain this. Their new Raffles is better than most Airlines First services. the new terminal & first as well as business lounges in Changi, are excellent.
    (Tip- if you fly even between SIN-KUL, you use the First lounge, including the A La Carte dining). I was lucky to fly SYD-SIN-KUL Raffles, but on the SIN-KUL route its classed as a First ticket, with a C seat!

Its now becoming a global need for secure financially stable, reputable Airlines, probably those in larger groups or well financed, to cary through the tough times ahead. Huge amounts of business travel is going to be lost, & profit & revenue.
    The most reputable, will hold their own.
    Our loyalty & where we put our business will be very important, where it has been taken for granted in recent years. Personally, i support & choose those who dare to be different, break the mould, are consistent in reputation over many years. New Aircraft, renewed fresh services, & really be cautious with Airlines in apparent decline, or open to changing markets.
    Thai Airways for eg, discontinued First Class to Australasia, replaced new aircraft with older, & old style seating, they Lease 3/4 of the fleet now! recent instability in Thailand disruption at BKK, & the financial crisis, dont bode well, & Malaysian whom i have been loyal to for yeasrs have reduced their international market, & face stiff competition from Air Asia.

I think we have to change our choice perceptions also. Stability, consistency, & a sound financial structure are vital now, new aircraft, efficient operations, regional competition, mega Alliances.

These aspects influence me more than some predictable award in this downturn for the industry.

oldbold
    Participant

If the original poster has travelled by now, it would be great to hear how the trip turned out, and which carrier was chosen.
    The Emirates option would now include A380 service to Auckland, stopping in Dubai and Sydney.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls