Business class flights London-Lima

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Inga
    Participant

I’ll be flying out with my OH to Lima from London in May next year for a 3 week holiday. Planning on splashing out on business for the flight, however, at the moment the budget doesn’t really stretch to BA direct flights (and the schedule isn’t ideal either). Options seem to be either Air France or KLM (fairly pricey but stretchable to); or Avianca or Air Europa (definitely cheaper). We tend to fly Emirates/Virgin/BA so we’re not too familiar with the pros/cons of the other airlines.

Would it be a mistake to stretch to business but fly Avianca/Air Europa – has anyone done long haul with them? Is the product worth the cost – ie would it be a good compromise; or would we be better biting the bullet and sticking with a European carrier?

Many thanks

capetonianm
    Participant

Over a period of two years, about 12 years ago, I did about 8 round trips between EU/US and BOG on Avianca, and a few sectors within south America, mostly business class. The service level was inconsistent but generally good and in particular I remember the good food. There was always a pleasant atmosphere on board.

Air Europa I wouldn’t touch with a bargepole.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Hi Inga! You’ll love Peru. Hope you do more than just the touristy Maachu pichu hike.

I haven’t traveled as much as some other folks here (in business class), but I have been fortunate in trying out different carriers in J class over the last two years. This would be my criteria for picking an airline – prices being equal, what aspect of business class is the most important to you? Examples: a lie flat business seat, direct aisle access (1-2-1), food, IFE, aircraft, etc. I’d pick the airline that does or has that feature the best.

So KLM for instance – love that food offering and all, but mostly old aircraft and only the new ones have uniform aisle direct access. Avianca has avg service (I’ve heard) but fairly new Dreamliners (so overall new hard product), I like BA’s CW window seat only because is that feeling of space u like VS’s coffin style, loved everything about CX except the food, etc.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Do seriously consider Iberia. In business class (long haul), there service is top.

capetonianm
    Participant

IB business class long-haul used to be very good indeed, and I had some superb flights to Latin America with them. The downside is the utterly appallingly rude, incompetent, and unhelpful ground staff at Barajas. Unless anything goes wrong you will have only minimal contact with them, which is fine, but if you miss a connection, lose a bag, or similar, and you have to deal with ground staff, I can only say : “!Que Dios te ayude!”

ermis177
    Participant

Avianca hard product is very good. 1-2-1 seats with privacy and enough space to sleep. Food and service is ok. Definitely much better than BA/IB. Also Bogota airport is totally fine for transit. You will have no issues.

goldaviator
    Participant

I booked to fly to Lima with AA from LHR in Nov. Its a pretty long day and the connection is through MIA.

Depart 09.15 LHR – MIA arrive 2.05pm
    Depart 5.35pm MIA – Lima arrive 11.24pm

return

Depart 07.45 MIA – Lima 1.42 pm
    Depart 7.30pm Mia – LHr 09.15 am +1 (there is an earlier flight to make the connection shorter)

The LHR – MIA was sold through AA but on BA metal.

Just an option.

DavidArnold
    Participant

I concur with goldaviator with American via Miami especially as their business class is excellent. I must say BA is excellent as the direct flight saves time and l enjoy the CW product but AA as part of the One World provides those all essential Exec Club benefits. Also with BA being Gatwick departures and AA using Heathrow this could also prove more popular.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=869854]Do seriously consider Iberia. In business class (long haul), there service is top.[/quote]

Agreed. Iberia has upped its game, and their new biz cabin is better than BA’s and the food is better too.

Flew Iberia from MAD to SCL last year and was impressed (and slightly surprised).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls