Bus transfers to terminals

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Cedric, the only time i have been diagnosed with frost bite, was in Bangkok a couple of years ago AFTER enduring a bus transfer at Helsinki airport, when I was not at all prepared and did not for one minute think I was going to be subjected to the freezing conditions during a 1 hour transfer.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

SwissEP – the PRG flights are to and from T3 so the other carriers on the gates are all sorts, almost anything except LH, AF, LX….! Why it is T3 for PRG (and some other BA European destinations) and not a terminal more convenient for transfer to BA long-haul is a mystery.

canucklad
    Participant

Constantflyer. You’re right, unfortunately its just another shrug of your shoulders exercise.

I totally agree with SwissEP. Its unacceptable especially in Helsinki and LHR in the teeming rain. Off a BA flight from EDI and had to wait 20 minutes for the bus to arrive, even though there was a plethera of bridges empty at T5!

And AF & CDG is a plane spotters paradise. The bus tour of the apron is smashing and then the further opportunity to spot has to be welcomed

Especially spotting your connecting flight take to the air without you!

I have missed a few flights because of bus transfers.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

BA into HEL is often, but not always, a bus transfer.

LX use separate buses for Business PAX at ZRH (and even have a separate logo on the side of them, to that effect).

Simon

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

My view is that bus transfers are always a let down at either end of the journey.

The pain can be reduced by providing separate buses for premium pax and maybe all airlines need to do it as a matter of course.

My most recent and worst experience was boarding an SQ A380 on a remote stand at LHR, seemingly the T3 stand had not cleared because of a late departure and there was no A380 gate available.

There were no separate buses for F or C so it really was a free for all. It was pouring and there are a lot of steps up to an A380. Only 2L was open so the queue was pretty dreadful. It was more of a relief to turn left than usual once I got to the top!

(There, I don’t only criticise BA!)

canucklad
    Participant

Mmmmmm. Henkel. A poor show indeed!

BAA clearly should have invested more in these gates, as tis problem can only occur more as the frequency of 380’s increase. And how many buses do you need to fill a 380?

Would have thought a nightmare logistically for the SQ ground staff and crew!

Dominique
    Participant

A huge effort has been made in Zurich airport for those flights on tarmac, with small buses for C class passengers. Thanks ZRH APT and Swiss for this. We all know that the real differences between C and Y are not inflight but on the ground…

smith101
    Participant

At some airports, such as Gatwick, I positively welcome a bus transfer. It can be a very long walk through the terminal to get to immigration, particularly across that hideous airbridge, much quicker to get dropped off at the door.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Looks like Emirates are on to this issue

http://www.arabnews.com/luxurious-shuttle-service-emirates

Binman62
    Participant

BA manage their own stand allocation in T5 without let or hindrance from Heathrow or BAA. Consequently international on domestic stands is a self imposed restriction and evidence of their commitment to customer service.

Similarly they have chosen to operate fromT3 on a bussing basis for economic reasons as it reduces the need for staff if you keep them all in one area. Yet more evidence of their commitment to customer service.

The dedicated bus only applies on arrival which makes little sense when no such service on departure.

Now that they are back to a 3 terminal operation the level of moving around LHR by bus by BA passengers will again rise sharply…as will missed connections and lost bags…..just check the stats at the end of 2013

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I recently sent a query to BA about bus transfers in T5. BA provided a thorough response, but what suprised me was the message that the bus transfers were not as bad as being reported in the press.

“The number of departures and arrivals using buses at Terminal 5 has been widely reported in the press, but just to set the record straight, there are slightly less here than at Terminals 3 and 4. In fact, currently fewer than 20% of flights are using a stand that requires a bus.”

Less than 20% – that could mean 1 in 5 flights using a bus rather than direct jetty access. Even 1 in 7 flights is really quite appalling……….IMHO of course, for such a new terminal…… It does beg the question, why on earth are other airlines being invited into T5, if clearly there isnt the space.

Daytripper
    Participant

Logistically, it’s understandable that some domestic flights will come into international gates and vice versa at T5, leaving passengers in the wrong location for disembarkation and therefore requiring buses.

What is not acceptable is deplaning them from the back, as the passengers who have paid the highest fares are at the front and are inconvenienced most.

Surely it would be possible to leave the jet bridge retracted, deplane from the front of the aircraft using steps, and then put the jet bridge in place once the passengers are off? This obvious solution seems to have escaped BAA and BA (whichever of the two is ultimately responsible…)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

and here’s the subsequent reply about deplaning from the front of the aircraft….

“The only time when the Club Europe dedicated coaches proposition will not be provided is when service is an International arrival turning on to a domestic departure and the aircraft is on stands 1 to 6 in Terminal 5.”

I know that there is nothing contractural about club passengers being able to deplane first but I do find it astonishing how any business is able to sell a product / service and then just abandon one of the benefits, without even an explanation or apology due to “parking problems”.

SimonS1
    Participant

Unfortunately when push comes to shove these things will always be done to suit the airline not the customer.

Why do companies like BA always use such corporate speak anyway. “Dedicated coaches proposition”??? I would have thought coach was over egging it a bit.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Flew TXL – FRA – BHX on Christmas Eve (on LH).

I was amazed to have an airbridge at FRA on departure to BHX, rather than a bus transfer to the plane. I’m pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve had an airbridge at FRA on a flight coming from or going to the UK in around 20 years of using FRA.

Happy New Year, Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls