Building works at Heathrow T5 departures

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

Headed for a flight this morning from LHR terminal 5, I was surprised to see that a lot of the lower departures level is still a building site, with areas cordoned off and boarded up. The V bar has been closed for what seems ages, the escalator down from Harrods to World Duty Free has been boarded up for a long time too. Now, it seems that Tiffany’s and Prada are having a facelift and where WHSmith and the Caviar House were to the south of the terminal, the boards still stand. Despite having status, I liked the V bar as it was a cool place to relax with friends who didn’t have lounge access as it offered a wide range of food and drinks.

Does anyone know when all the works will be completed? I know there are bigger problems in the world to worry about, but to me, all the boarded up areas hardly show off terminal 5 in its best light as holidaymakers are passing through.

BA744fan
    Participant

I was in T5 recently and noticed a lot of boarded up retail outlets. My initial thought was that the first round of leases since opening are coming to an end and some retailers have decided not to renew.

I imagine the annual rent for a central location in T5a must be huge!

JordanD
    Participant

I would imagine that in terms of spend, the pre-Christmas market is the more critical one to be ready for, hence the summer time works.

To be fair on the WDF/Harrods areas, they are doing a facelift of the whole lot, and they’ve already done the first half of it, and are now working on the second half.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls