Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=845648]It would be useful to have a ‘preview’ button before posting.[/quote]

I agree with Capetonian. It would be a very useful feature.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Perhaps I’m simple, but I really like this latest version of the Forum.

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=846315]

It would be useful to have a ‘preview’ button before posting.

I agree with Capetonian. It would be a very useful feature.
    [/quote]
    You just have to “print and be damned” and then review what you said and correct it within the few minutes allowed.
    Best to edit only once though to avoid too many sub notes!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I do correct people’s spelling or typos if I notice them or I think it makes the point they are making clearer – and sometimes add para marks in (for what it’s worth).

We are pushing through some more changes – not least making it clearer where people log in to leave a comment and also, once they have done so, to take them back to the page they were hoping to comment on rather than the home page.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Tom, I was disappointed that you closed the thread appertaining to the “Drunk BA Pilot”. Ok one person felt their personal integrity was called into question but that knee jerk reaction smacks of political correctness and goodness knows there is enough people out there who are “easily offended”. I could understand it if a number of people had taken offence and/or raised protests, but one person? I would have thought all on this Forum are grown up and are capable of mounting a retort. By the yardstick you have applied you will closing threads right left and centre!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=847620]Tom, I was disappointed that you closed the thread appertaining to the “Drunk BA Pilot”. Ok one person felt their personal integrity was called into question but that knee jerk reaction smacks of political correctness and goodness knows there is enough people out there who are “easily offended”. I could understand it if a number of people had taken offence and/or raised protests, but one person? I would have thought all on this Forum are grown up and are capable of mounting a retort. By the yardstick you have applied you will closing threads right left and centre!!
    [/quote]

I think you may have missed a quite unpleasant post that BT deleted and which probably prompted them to close the thread before it escalated into flame wars – I don’t think it was a PC knee jerk, just sensible moderation.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

FDOS_UK, if there was a post I didn´t see fair enough but just delete the post not the thread hence the former I would agree is a good moderation the latter unwarranted.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I agree, but I didn’t delete the thread, I deleted the posts and then closed the thread so that everyone could calm down. Although I’m aware that

I can reopen it again if you want to comment on it.
    Some posters think we too lightly moderate the forum, and some think we moderate it too much, so the one thing everyone is agreed on is we’re doing a terrible job!
    But then, this isn’t what we do – our job is the news and the features and the magazine and the events and all the rest.
    The forum was just a place we set up for people to talk about business travel, share their opinions and any money saving advice or sales or tricks they’d learned they wanted to share.
    Inevitably there are arguments but if you compare it to anywhere else, we do OK – I was reading the comments on some FT pieces this morning – they are an angry bunch. And as for the comments on the Daily Mail….

Flightlevel
    Participant

We should all try to be civil and employ a sense of humour leading to sarcasm sometimes and there would be no requirement for moderation – so its down to the contributors.
    Editors do a good job really and they have a publication to represent so again its up to the participants to maintain the standard.

capetonianm
    Participant

Compared to many other forums, I think most of us on here are remarkably disciplined and civil. I find this is often the case where participants have met or corresponded using their real names and there is thus some level of accountability.

When I post, I never post anything that I would not say to someone’s face, it’s a good rule to follow, but then I am known for being pretty outspoken in real life too!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=847915]When I post, I never post anything that I would not say to someone’s face, it’s a good rule to follow, but then I am known for being pretty outspoken in real life too![/quote]

Me too, on both counts 🙂

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Tom , there we go everyone being civil, wonderful! Tom can you reopen it please as I am sure there will be updates whether it gets to a court hearing or not.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

OK, done.

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls