Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I will certainly ask.
    One of the challenges is that everyone is reading it on a different device and so has a different experience, and we are trying to reduce the amount of clutter and speed up the site, while at the same time making navigation better.
    I might try and move the Change Edition buttong as well

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

While the new web site visual design is an improvement, I do not like the way the latest news articles are now spread across three locations on the home page.

1) Top of the page: Automatic scrolling of 5 or 6 pictures. Visually this does look nice and creates a good first impression. I do like the automatic refresh between the images.
    2) Under the pictures: Four text links without any pictures.
    3) “More” section: Further down the page there are additional news articles.

What I don’t like:
    a) The latest news articles are no longer consistently placed at the top of the page, in a latest first ordering. Finding just the latest articles is now more difficult as I can no longer stop reading at the first article I notice I have already read. I need to scroll down the page to first find the “More” section to see if any new articles are only listed in that location.
    b) Separate to the ordering issue some articles are repeated more the once. At the time of writing the “Airbnb partners with workspace firm” article is shown in all three locations.

There are three “just now” articles only shown in the More section. “Tier II cities in Rajasthan get better connectivity”, “Qatar Airways and Vietjet now interlining” and “Hotel review: Jumeirah Al Naseem, Dubai”. I can understand the Hotel review as a Tried & Tested item only appearing in the More section. As that is not a headline and is consistent with the previous web page layout. But why are you hiding your two latest news articles in the More section and not at the top of the page?

The Under the pictures location is currently showing “Business Traveller TV launches” from a week ago, but more recent articles are placed in the More section.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=831342]One quick suggestion, ‘back to forum’ button appears only at the top right of the page. Could it also come at the bottom of a thread (after the last post), so that we can go straight back to the forum home after reading a thread.[/quote]

Great idea.
    Also can report than when posting replies, it loads much quicker than before. A real improvement.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Can a photo be added to one’s profile? I looked but can’t see a way of adding it.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Optional photo I trust, many like to be confidential because of their business!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

These are all excellent suggestions and feedback and we are working on them – and I’m glad you notice the site is faster.
    This is important not only because it means you have a better / less rubbish experience, but also because Google ranks sites according to speed, so no matter how much fresh content and news we have on the site, we were being penalised for being slow and so not showing up in search results. Now we are seeing increasing traffic, whcih will then help rejuvenate the forum with new people coming and excisting ones having the patience to post. Meanwhile you have all stuck with us, so thank you.

[quote quote=831426]One quick suggestion, ‘back to forum’ button appears only at the top right of the page. Could it also come at the bottom of a thread (after the last post), so that we can go straight back to the forum home after reading a thread.[/quote]

Yes, we will work on this.

[quote quote=831506]Optional photo I trust, many like to be confidential because of their business!
    [/quote]

The suggestion of adding photos won’t be on there, though. We tried it before and it ended up filling the page with the picture space. Most people didn’t upload a picture, so it was a grey box adding to the clutter (there was no way of making it disappear when there was no picture – or avatar – on there).
    And in addition, when we were spammed, you can imagine what pictures people uploaded. Seeing that every morning as we delete them is no joke for the staff.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Actually it was an Avatar I was going to put. I’m sure your staff Tom, do not want to be greeted in the morning by my ugly mug! 😉

stevescoots
    Participant

i like the idea of an avatar

transtraxman
    Participant

In addition to the negative comments already mentioned, most of which I agree with, I would like to add one more.
    I notice that now the forum indicates the post by how many days or weeks ago the comment was published. I much prefer the date to be indicated, if need be then I can easily work out how long ago that was so I do not need to have it calculated for me. Also does that not put extra work on the system since it has to updated daily.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I agree

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 on the Avatar idea … I like it

LuganoPirate
    Participant

+1 also on the Avatar idea – but I’d like to use my own Avatar.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We tried the avatar – it wrecked the spacing on mobile devices because there was a square next to every post no matter how short the post. I’ll try and attach a screen grab of what it looked like.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=831389]What I don’t like:
    a) The latest news articles are no longer consistently placed at the top of the page, in a latest first ordering. Finding just the latest articles is now more difficult as I can no longer stop reading at the first article I notice I have already read. I need to scroll down the page to first find the “More” section to see if any new articles are only listed in that location.
    b) Separate to the ordering issue some articles are repeated more the once. At the time of writing the “Airbnb partners with workspace firm” article is shown in all three locations.
    There are three “just now” articles only shown in the More section. “Tier II cities in Rajasthan get better connectivity”, “Qatar Airways and Vietjet now interlining” and “Hotel review: Jumeirah Al Naseem, Dubai”. I can understand the Hotel review as a Tried & Tested item only appearing in the More section. As that is not a headline and is consistent with the previous web page layout. But why are you hiding your two latest news articles in the More section and not at the top of the page?[/quote]

We’ve fixed this, thank you

drflight
    Participant

Every time I try to log out of this new look this is what I get:

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-login.php on this server.
    Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at http://www.businesstraveller.com Port 443

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls