BT Forum Posters Get Together

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Hi Nigel. Yes, those details are correct. I will email those who have said they are coming tomorrow morning to check that you are still able to make it, and will make a firm decision by lunchtime as regards the weather.

Firstly thanks to Nigel and Jim for attending the drinks last night – it was great to hear your feedback on the magazine, website and forum, and we’ll certainly be taking your comments and suggestions on board.

As a starting point I though it would be good to post a few points of discussion that arose:

Forum tweak: both Nigel and Jim suggested that we change the layout of the forum, so that the reply box appears underneath an existing forum string, rather than on a separate page, making it easier to refer to previous comments when making new posts. We will implement this.

Competitions: It was asked who actually wins our monthly competitions, as we do not publish details of winners on our site. We have to be very careful not to break data protection laws in publishing winners’ details, but rest assured winners are picked totally at random each month. We will see if there is a way to let you know winners have been picked in future without giving away personal details. This month we have three prizes on offer – for more details visit:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/competitions

Polls: It was suggested that the poll section on the website homepage be made more prominent as it currently gets a little lost in its current position. We’ll see what we can do about this, but would also like to point out that the poll is included on the newsletter each week, and results of all previous polls can be seen at:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/polls

Suggestions for future features:

– A comparison of the standard and first class offerings on UK long distance rail services, as well as general tried and tested reviews of rail services.

– A look at airport transport links to and from city centres, as well as links between airports (eg: Gatwick and Heathrow), and onward to other cities.

– A roundup of airlines offering mobile check-in and mobile boarding pass services.

– More car rental features, for instance the consistency (or lack of) of service offered by franchise operations within large car rental firms.

– A roundup of useful and entertaining travel apps for iPhones and other mobile phones.

There were plenty of other topics of discussion which we will look into further and get back to you on, and we also plan further development of the forum software later in the year. As always we welcome suggestions and comments from all readers.

VintageKrug
    Participant

All sounds very good!

I would add a plea for some Trip Reports on US “non-legacy” domestic carriers.

JetBlue, Virgin America, Spirit and Southwest spring to mind.

Also, on a forum development point, there is a need to increase the number of visible post headings as the traffic on the forum increases; fine at present but needs to be kept under review.

Second, forum development point would be the annoying habit of links to open up in the tab you are curently viewing, effectively navigating you away from the BT website. Am pretty sure it’s your software not my PCs (as I have tried on all of mine) and would be interested if other users face this issue.

Would be good if links would open in a new tab.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

I think the website admin software can be set to open links in a new tab (or window but that’s now superseded by tabs) by default, and it’s generally the best way. In the meantime you can right click the link and an option is then to open in a new tab – does mean an extra click though.

Just to follow up on the above, we have now started a regular iPhone app section within our weekly technology round-up, the latest of which can be viewed at:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/technology-round-up-february-27

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s lovely BusinessTraveller.

But external links still open in a new page; that must be costing you thousands of pounds per week in lost advertising and lost page view revenues….not to mention those who are navigated away from the site and never return…

http://www.iab.net/insights_research/947883/adrevenuereport

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls