Brussels Airlines let down by Brussels Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• DavidGordon10
    Participant

I am returning from a meeting in Yaoundé and sitting with a Canadian colleague in an SN lounge at Brussels Airport and we are grumbling about the airport. Why?

The lounge has no proper desks, inadequate power sockets, a grossly overheated area with couches on which to rest (we had to get out before we melted), reasonable food, patchy drinks and seats that are mostly pretty uncomfortable. The lift to get to the lounge is broken and stuck on another level.

Going backwards through our experience, there is apparently no route into the B gate area that does not involve trekking through a stinking perfume emporium. Presumably there is an alternative route for those made ill by perfumes, but if there is one should not have to ask.

Security? The automatic gate that is supposed to open for a business class boarding card does not work, and the attendant did not see the point in our complaints.

Signage. This is dire – we nearly went through an unnecessary passport check after security, but just in time saw the slot in the wall that leads to the B gates.

On my outbound trip (LHR – BRU – NSI), on leaving the plane from LHR the departure board said that my gate for NSI (one of the T gates) was 9 minutes’ walk. It took me 50 minutes to get there: transfer between A and T gates is now by a shuttle bus, the option to walk between the two main wings of the airport is no longer available, and the signs to get to the bus are hopeless.

This is a great pity. Brussels Airlines is good, particularly in long-haul business, but badly let down by the airport, and the lounge.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I went to ABJ, via BRU, earlier this year and wasn’t very much impressed by the airport nor the lounge (rather well described by David). But I could walk around more or less normally. My thoughts then was I was facing a temporary situation. It seems not. What a pity!

Andy/Thailand
    Participant

I was there a couple of weeks ago and the lounge was packed, and was unbearably hot. I have also wondered by Brussels airlines don’t have any showers in there lounges, you have to go to another lounge, which I guess they must be charged for.

The business class lounge at gates T is by far the best lounge.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Seems not much has changed over the years. It always has been shabby and unwelcoming.

However, I can vouch for the prison cells. Spotlessly clean, not too warm, reasonably comfortable seating on tiered wooden benches with a choice of beverage, tea, coffee or water, and a half decent breakfast of bread and cheese. The only downside is it was served by a very surly Belgian policeman.

In fact, that was the only downside, rude, arrogant and unfriendly policemen in total contrast to my fellow occupants, illegals from West Africa, who were delightful company, amusing and good conversationalists.

And my crime? An unpaid speeding ticket from 3 years earlier!!! Took an hour to sort the paperwork and pay the EUR 50 (cash only) and I was off on my connecting flight. I think perhaps my experience was better than the lounge experience!

capetonianm
    Participant

A few years ago I got a cheap ticket on an ‘ex-EU’ fare out of BRU, saving about £300 even compared to AMS. Having to use that lousy shabby disorganised airport negated the value of the saving. Never again.

esselle
    Participant

LP

I assumed what you were describing WAS a lounge experience……………..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=833227]LP
    I assumed what you were describing WAS a lounge experience……………..
    [/quote]

Esselle, 😉 😉 😉

Swissdiver
    Participant

I had a similar experience in AMS, LP. But I avoided the cell by promising the police woman I would call a certain number as I didn’t know what the whole thing was about. In facts it was a speeding ticket on a rented car. Coming back from Germany, I had not adapted my speed…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls