BritRail.net – London Plus Pass

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

brittraveler
    Participant

The BritRail.net London Plus Pass is well worth the money. British rail transport over the years has changed, with faster and more comfortable trains. The London Plus Pass includes passes on the Heathrow Express and allows you to travel with ease and flexibility. No waiting in line to purchase individual tickets at the station, or hoping you get the best rate which makes travel more enjoyable overall.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Looks like a good deal but remember that it is intended only for UK visitors.

Note that this Plus Pass is NOT available to UK residents.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is this a “rover” style ticket or a discount card to buy cheaper tickets.

Seems the only requirement is to have an overseas address..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Looks like a Rover ticket which is valid for use on a limited number of days within a given time span.

http://www.britrail.net/passes/britrail-london-plus-pass

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Looks terrific value.. wonder how the firm define overseas resident….?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Martyn –

One reason for the Britrail pass is because UK rail was not included in the Eurail scheme (the main rover ticket for mainland Europe) even way back in the days of British Rail.

The Britrail pass is not sold in the UK.

More details are on this website page which displays a US contact number and email form.

http://www.britrail.net/contact-us

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“The one exception is for UK residents traveling with an international pass holder if they purchased the BritRail Guest Pass”.

So this is available to UK residents when travelling with overseas visitors…..

I know the train companies have to make a profit, but what gets me is the majority of cost effective tickets we can buy are train/time limited. Try travelling outside of those times and the fair can increase quite dramatically.

With this rover ticket, the fares are totally flexible, hop on / hop off at will (or so it seems) for a fraction of the price UK residents would pay…

I never knew this existed, but once again, thanks to the wonderful BT Forum, another cost saving idea when multiple train journeys are needed in a short period of time.

I will assume “non resident” for the rail firms purpose is someone with an overseas address where the ticket can be sent to…

NTarrant
    Participant

Martyn – you have to be able to provide proof that you have residency in a country, not merely a friend who has an address where you can get the ticket sent to.

They don’t accept PO Box addresses, which is a bit useless for me here in Saudi as we only have PO Box addresses, perhaps I’ll email then and ask!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

That is not a problem .. as I have a home and office overseas..

Flightlevel
    Participant

It is about time all major London Airports were available on the travelcard, perhaps with surcharges (well signed & advertised!) for the Heathrow Express & maybe LTN.The HEX provides free off peak travel to HAL staff so they can’t be that busy!Certainly LGW won’t take off unless its available by travelcard.Many visitors depart leaving a balance on theirs & I believe TfL earns £20m p.a.from unused balances,they can afford to subsidise travel to STN & LTN atleast!

NTarrant
    Participant

It is unlikely that a change to travelcard boundaries to cover LGW would make much difference to usage. All similar schemes that have epurse will have unused balances, Dubai Nol, HKG Octupus, even though the latter make it easy to get your money back at the airport

Bath_VIP
    Participant

The Britrail and Rover tickets are very attractive and I have been aware of these for the last few years. Having said that, they are not always best value. My fiancee (who is American) looked into the Britrail scheme with me as her UK partner and in the end, we worked out that for our itinerary, it would be cheaper to buy tickets for each journey based on my knowledge of the UK rail ticketing rules (advance tickets, split tickets, etc). For an overseas visitor who knows nothing about this it is good value but local knowledge can be cheaper.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls