British Airways wants to serve Eindhoven

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

According to Luchtvaart.nl [NL] British Airways would like to serve Eindhoven.

But the carrier has found this impossible owing to a lack of slots … at Eindhoven rather than Heathrow.

http://luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/british-airways-wil-naar-eindhoven-vliegen-maar-mag-niet

Airport boss Joost Meijs is quoted as saying that it hurts him to refuse British Airays. A destination such as London Heathrow would really provide a quality boost.

Besides the point-to-point travel BA would see Eindhoven as another source of sixth-freedom traffic.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Eindhoven has really grown in the last 20 years, and is now an important business destination in the Netherlands in it’s own right. It’s now mainly used by the LCC’s such as Ryanair, Transavia and WIZZ and they have some amazing fares to other European destinations. My ex flew to Alicante for the day to visit my daughter and paid just EUR 32 return. I’m also told they are a lot less pedantic than the check-in staff at UK airports.

RHMAngel
    Participant

I wish…. I go twice a year from LHR and refuse to go on LCCs so have to route through AMS adding on 90 minutes train journey.

Hope BA can bid tactically if ever a slot becomes free.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=930155]I wish…. I go twice a year from LHR and refuse to go on LCCs so have to route through AMS adding on 90 minutes train journey.

Hope BA can bid tactically if ever a slot becomes free.[/quote]

I thought BA was a LCC these days on short haul?

3 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

I ‘m not sure about the ins and outs of slots , taking into account airspace slots over the Netherlands and the North Sea.

But, a quick look at the arrivals and departures board on their website suggests many opportunities to squeeze a 319 into the daily equation .

But as I said , not an expert.

Plus I wonder what the Eindhoven board of commerce has to say about the decision ?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Later I discovered that Eindhoven is a military airport

https://english.defensie.nl/organisation/air-force/bases-and-units/eindhoven

and that there have been a record number of complaints about noise pollution.

Eindhoven Airport – Record number of noise pollution complaints

According to the above article the growth at the airport is currently restricted to 43,000 flights a year.

But from 2020 there will a new cap on the the number of flights allowed.

Residents and environmentalists want there to be no growth at the airport. But the airport itself and businesses see matters differently and want expansion.

1 user thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

If Eindhoven doesn’t want it, I bet Maastricht would be happy to have BA ??!! About time the most civilized part of the country had air connections.

flyingdutchman1
    Participant

If they would start flying from Heathrow to Maastricht I would be on it many times a year !!
    But I do not hold my breath, it will not happen.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=930993]But I do not hold my breath, it will not happen.[/quote]

flyingdutchman1- You may well be right and I realise it’s an environmentally sensitive issue.

However one of this airport’s main civilian users is Ryanair.

And, although Ryanair continues to operate at Eindhoven, it closed its base there last November 5.

In the longer term the airport expects the “reduction in the number of Ryanair flights to be filled either by Ryanair itself or by other airlines.”

https://nieuws.eindhovenairport.nl/168918-ryanair-sluit-basis-op-eindhoven-airport

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls