British Airways to start selling Marks and Spencer's sandwiches on board

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 346 total)

• Travellator
    Participant

The Header is on the BA site but not accessible yet.

Rockhopper
    Participant

According to the article London City will be compliant in 2017 so they are not excluded. I have to say when my IOM-LCY-IOM flights regularly cost over £300 seeing the crew pedalling sandwiches and drinks will grate a little. Apart from where I have to use them (eg the aforementioned route) BA are now just a complete irrelevance to me.

rferguson
    Participant

A shame they will be even charging for soft drinks 🙁

esselle
    Participant

On rare occasions, I fly BA F, starting my journey with MAN-LHR.

So the experience goes BOB-CCR-F-CCR-BOB.

Fantastic.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Hi – Tom has written a series of articles as follows:

The partnership:

British Airways launches Buy on Board with Marks And Spencer

The pricing:

British Airways new Marks and Spencer items – the prices

Use of Avios to purchase items:

British Airways Avios payments for onboard food and drink

And an interview with Alex Cruz:

Alex Cruz on the new Buy on Board with Marks & Spencer

canucklad
    Participant

I can see their advertising campaign now……
    We’re not just any airline, we just don’t fly to serve, (said in Nigella Lawson style)
    we now give change too! (In Lorraine Chase style)

It’s a shame they didn’t tie up with Carlsberg too…..
    Then they could come up with…

Not just any airline, we’re probably the best low cost airline ……..at Heathrow

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Here’s the official blurb from the (hungry) horse’s mouth.

Now, you will have no excuses for not spending the vast amount of Avios in your account…..

========================================================================================================
    29 September 2016

Dear Corporate Partner,

We are writing to inform you of a key change to our inflight catering which British Airways has announced this morning.

From 11 January, we’re upgrading our food offering on all short haul flights to and from London Heathrow and London Gatwick by partnering with Marks & Spencer, another great British brand. Your customers will be able to buy food from their delicious and seasonally inspired menu, ‘M&S on board’, along with a choice of drinks available to purchase from an extensive bar menu, which will replace the complimentary service currently provided in our Euro Traveller cabins, including UK domestic flights.

With a variety of M&S food, including vegetarian and healthy fresh options, this means that your customers will now be able to enjoy the flavours they love from this British high street favourite while in the air.

Executive Club Members will now have the option to spend their Avios on board. With all food on the menu priced at under £5, and branded wines, spirits and soft drinks also available to buy, payment using Avios or via a debit or credit card, will be quick and easy.

Please note that cash payments will not be accepted, so if your customers are travelling in a group, please ensure they are aware of this change.

From summer 2017, ‘M&S on board’ will also be available to purchase on flights to and from London City and London Stansted. Any bookings your customers have in Club Europe or on long haul flights will be unaffected and the existing full complimentary food offering will continue to be served.

Yours Faithfully

BA Account Management Team

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It is really interesting to see how much time, effort and economic consideration has gone into a sandwich for a flights in some cases of less than 1 hour. Mr Cruz says its not about money (indeed) but choice that passengers have been requesting. Interested to hear if anyone on BT Forum has been asked..

Now we can use avios to BOB…

It seems that the entire board / company has been involved in these changes, negotiations must have been ongoing for months… its no wonder that more important issues such as improving passenger experiences (or the hard product) are put on the back burner…

I will continue with my food strategy, if its needed, buy in the terminal before hand..

JohnHarper
    Participant

Don’t you just love the spin:

“From 11 January, we’re upgrading our food offering on all short haul flights”

To something you will have to pay for because that’s what our customers have said they want.

What are these people on?

As I predicted before, Business Class, sorry Club Class – quite unlike Business Class will soon be a choice of M&S ready meals and before too long they will be charged for too as that’s what customers will want.

The only question really is will M&S, a failing company or BA, a failing company hit the ground first?

esselle
    Participant

I’ve just seen some price comparisons, and note that BA have added an enhancement by charging more for the products in the air than M+S sell them for on the ground…………..

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=761797]I’ve just seen some price comparisons, and note that BA have added an enhancement by charging more for the products in the air than M+S sell them for on the ground…………..

[/quote]

And you’re surprised by that???

canucklad
    Participant

From 11th of January we’ll be UPGRADING our food offering……LOL

Other fantastic words….

Inspired
    Healthy
    Extensive
    Enjoy
    Fresh

Always use a positive sounding word to disguise the real message.
    If I’d like a refreshing, de-stressing drink after a hard day’s work in London, I’m going to have to fork out even more cash.
    So, fleecing me (my company) for £307 isn’t quite enough , please Mr Cruz can I give you another tenner , pretty please, because I know that your profits just aren’t enough.

Not so much highway robbery, sky-high robbery is more appropriate!
    Maybe, they need to hire a certain ex[England manager to work out the next money making scheme!

EDIT…..Oh by the way, that’s £307 each way, so £612 in total for apx 90 minutes in the air

esselle
    Participant

John

Not surprised at all, but it is yet another indicator of BA’s crass attempts at turning the story into something positive.

Imagine this………..”We have decided that we can no longer offer free food and drink as the cost of doing so in this harsh economic climate is simply too great. We are therefore going to start charging for it from January next year and have teamed up with M+S to supply our onboard products”.

At least that would be credible.

rferguson
    Participant

You can’t turn £2.30 for a tea bag and a bit of hot water into ANYTHING positive.

Travellator
    Participant

Will PAX now buy what they want including Alcohol after security etc and bring on board.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 346 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls