British Airways to start selling Marks and Spencer's sandwiches on board

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 346 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

FDOS, many companies have the word British in their name ranging from Gas to Land, Airways to Telecoms. At some point or another I am sure we all have our downers on or other of them. Best not to get too upset about it all.

Might be interesting to know if British Airways could still get the name if it were a new company registering now. The word British is a restricted word when registering a new company name, a company has to justify the use of the word. I know some on here consider it should be London Airways…..I wonder what companies house would make of it all.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael

Both of those companies operate throughout Britain and justify their name, British Land owns the Meadhowhall shopping centre, for instance and is currently looking at an extension which will create ~1,000 local jobs. British Telecommunications plc exists, but their trading arm has operated for years as ‘BT plc’ IIRC, likewise no objection to them, since they operate throughout the UK and don’t discriminate against the regions.

BA is a London centric operation, using the ‘British’ brand to build good will primarily in overseas markets, like the USA, whilst neglecting the home regions – it doesn’t even fly from Wales, for example.

MrMichael
    Participant

@FDOS, actually it does fly from Wales, just not with any Passengers 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Very funny. At least they won’t get the usual low satisfaction on surveys from those flights.

canucklad
    Participant

In most cases the moniker “British” is historically linked to that companies past owners….

The great citizens of this fine country.

So maybe one of Jeremy’s policies should be to re-nationalize all those companies trading with the name British. : )

openfly
    Participant

Just flown on BA Cityflyer and got into chat with the crew about possible BOB.
    Apparently there is to be an announcement around the 30th Sept confirming the rumours. Total buy on board, food and drinks, on all LHR and LGW short-haul flights…similar to Vueling. BUT, and it’s a big BUT…BA Cityflyer are not conforming to this plan. They are remaining full service with free drinks because they would need to carry an extra cabin-crew member to cope with collecting money etc, and they are not prepared to shoulder the extra cost.
    Interesting diversity of the BA product!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The food offering on BA City Flyer (I only use them from LCY and back), in Club, far exceeds BA in Club..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Let’s wait and see exactly what will be charged, to whom, when they announce it officially.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Sad date for BA then, good for Cityflyer

WillieWelsh
    Participant

[quote quote=760735]Just flown on BA Cityflyer and got into chat with the crew about possible BOB.
    Apparently there is to be an announcement around the 30th Sept confirming the rumours. Total buy on board, food and drinks, on all LHR and LGW short-haul flights…similar to Vueling. BUT, and it’s a big BUT…BA Cityflyer are not conforming to this plan. They are remaining full service with free drinks because they would need to carry an extra cabin-crew member to cope with collecting money etc, and they are not prepared to shoulder the extra cost.
    Interesting diversity of the BA product![/quote]

Oh well nothing like a bit of product inconsistency to p*ss off the people buying it. BD did that at the end and it go so bad that even as a loyal and regular traveler you could not figure out what was what.

And we all know what happened there next!

Travellator
    Participant

Is this new enhancement a precursor to the end of Club Europe ?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

As I have had to take to closely reading food ingredients labels, this is going to make things remarkably straightforward for me. As most M&S sandwiches (and a great deal else besides) contains either Palm oil or Palm fat, I now have to avoid all of them like the plague.

I am currently assuming that CE will retain catering and that the tuck-run will be strictly for ET.

Travellator
    Participant

I dont think you can assume anything given the current BA mindset !

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=761647]I dont think you can assume anything given the current BA mindset !

[/quote]

and pension fund challenges.

rferguson
    Participant

BA will ‘officially’ announce the BA-M&S Buy on Board tie up today.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 346 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls