British Airways to start selling Marks and Spencer's sandwiches on board

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 346 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

From this morning’s flight from MAN to LON – A319, not full, not many people seemed interested, service took about 10-15 mins.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=785963]On Swiss in economy you get a free sandwich and a drink. The choice is ham or cheese in an oversized bridge roll wrapped in a paper bag (not plastic so recyclable). Keeps everyone happy and can’t cost Swiss much more than 1.50 francs.

Why don’t BA add a pound to the fare, which no one would notice, and do the same, keeping all their passengers happy?

Or am I being too simplistic?

[/quote]

Willie wants the F******G MONEY!!!!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You’re probably right FDOS so why not add £2 to every ticket, keep everyone happy and keep a pound for the shareholders!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=786107]You’re probably right FDOS so why not add £2 to every ticket, keep everyone happy and keep a pound for the shareholders!

[/quote]

I’m not sure that they have a good enough grasp of competitive strategy to get that idea 😉

onajetplane
    Participant

Having done 3 short-haul flights on BA since their new policy was implemented – it has been quite surprising to see how 3 flights with the new buy on board policy have played out:

Flight 1:
    It was their 2nd day so acceptable I guess. On a short LHR-BHD flight when the captain announced “cabin crew 15minutes to landing” I looked back and they were only at row 8 with regards serving. What I saw was a complete lack of understanding of what product was what/incredibly slow payment processing times. I don’t understand with 2 CC per trolley, why does 1 have an ipad and 1 does the order? Seemed to really slow things up?

Flight 2:
    710am departure back to LHR from BHD… no one seemed to order anything! I guess maybe too early!?

Flight 3:
    “I am sorry but there has been a problem at LHR with loading “hot food” so there will be no on-board service tonight…”. On hearing this, I still expected a snacks/drinks run… In reality it was trays of cups of water (complimentary).

More incredulously, the gentleman sitting beside me on the 3rd flight seemed quite irate that nothing was being offered on-board and the purser actually said “I know our customers have expectations… we know that if you were flying EasyJet this wouldn’t happen, but it is just out of our control this evening unfortunately.” I could not believe he even mentioned Easyjet. Bizarre. You couldn’t make it up. Yet ironically, sadly, his comment sums up BA’s future in Europe for me.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

How long until they move to an online pre-ordering model? I know there would be some start-up cost but they already have a system in place for pre-ordering on long-haul so it presumably wouldn’t be beyond their capabilities (well, having said that, it is BA!!). Reduced wastage, greater certainty that people will get what they want, easier and quicker to do the service on board…. It’s all so obvious that I am completely unsurprised they haven’t thought of it (sigh)

canucklad
    Participant

As I predicted years ago, this is just the start of a slow slippery slope, so frequent passengers don’t notice the decent into total Vueling mediocrity. And ultimately the disappearance of BA short haul.

After a year or so, of shabby BOB experiences, or when M&S realise their brand is being compromised I’m totally convinced that BA’s marketing machine will power into action and announce that customer feedback has convinced the airline that the removal of the on-board food proposition as an enhancement welcomed by us, the fare paying passenger.

Consider this, if you’re a bean counter at BA and looking at cost v service, how long would it take you to realise this calculation……

A319 = 2 CC per trolley, 2 X trolleys = 4 cabin crew. Remove the trolleys and you’re able to reduce the amount of cabin crew. Dependant on load factor, I think the legal ratio is 1 to 50!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Remember where Mr Cruz came from…..

Para alguien que es bueno con un martillo, cada problema se parece a un clavo

(To someone who is good using a hammer, every problem looks like a nail).

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Another data point on sales.

LHR-MAN yesterday. Rammed A321, very quick service as no one was taking (saw the odd cup of tea), but lots of free water given out, from Highland Spring bottles.

Can’t see how they covered the cost of fresh food binned after this flight.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Well, BA can have their BOB model. For myself, I will trust to BMO (bring my own…). At least I will get what I want and will be able to consume it when I want.

Stowage222
    Participant

I agree Anthony – I won’t be ‘spending a penny’ on board.

ontherunhome
    Participant

I agree with Anthony too, BMO, or FAA ( fly another airline). I think Boots will do a roaring trade at T5 and T3. Shame M&S are not airside.
    Took a Belfast LHR earlier this week. Had food in lounge and took a coffee on board.
    BOB went down and back quickly, not many takers i think. I for one wont be using it, at least on ex LHR, when i can BMO.
    Flew Cityjet last night, free drinks and a snack, free bags in the hold and £30 less to Paris than BA.

Martin36
    Participant

Does the new BOB M&S offering also come with the less than friendly and satisfactory Vueling/Iberia style customer service???? Just wondering if Snr Cruz is going to replicate that on BA too!

christopheL
    Participant

I flew from LHR to CDG yesterday evening on a A319. I was in row 5 in economy (first 3 rows were CE) but never saw a crew member offering me to buy some F&B. Two of them delt with the 3 rows of CE passengers and the last two ones delt with rows 15 to 25.
    No explanation given…
    I wonder when this descent into hell will stop.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 346 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls