British Airways to start selling Marks and Spencer's sandwiches on board

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 346 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

FaroFlyer – FYI, posted at 0709 11 Jan, by RFerguson, who is BA crew

[quote quote=785435]FDOS is correct. There is no regulation that passengers cannot consume their own alcohol on board. It is however illegal to be drunk on an aircraft. If a passenger consuming their own booze gets a bit messy we can confiscate the guilty liquid.

[/quote]

Some airlines (in my experience easyJet and Ryanair) do not allow pax to consume their own alcoholic drinks, but that is their own ruling (and as they own/operate the planes, fair do’s).

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=785619]What happens in the case of Royal Brunei, I wonder ?

Officially it’s a dry airline. But in previous years readers have said that passengers are allowed to bring their own alcoholic drinks on board.

Passengers are allowed to discreetly consume their own alcohol on board at mealtimes. Cabin staff even provide glasses etc.

Not sure if this is still the case.

[/quote]

Never flown them, TBH. I have flown Egyptair in the past and this was deffo the case.

Wouldn’t try it on Saudia, though.

mkcol74
    Participant

The inbound LCA had 5 bacon rolls left, for 160 pax.
    And that was it.

mkcol74
    Participant

Can’t see how to edit….
    [quote quote=785626]The inbound LCA had 5 bacon rolls left, for 160 pax.
    And that was it.

[/quote]

But there was also 13 sarnies.

mkcol74
    Participant

Plus another BA crew member was saying…”We had 2 carts of food and 2 pods for a full ATH t&b, needless to say we ran out of everything to sell, 1 pod not working on the way out, the other ran out of battery on the way back and we didn’t even manage to serve everyone! What a shambles”

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=785635]Plus another BA crew member was saying…”We had 2 carts of food and 2 pods for a full ATH t&b, needless to say we ran out of everything to sell, 1 pod not working on the way out, the other ran out of battery on the way back and we didn’t even manage to serve everyone! What a shambles”

[/quote]

As I predicted, when BOB was announced, BA doesn’t have the management experience to introduce it smoothly, nor the nous to phase it in on a few routes, debug and then launch across the network – did they learn nothing from the T5 inauguration fiasco?

I imagine it will come together over time, but it really is a band end outfit at the moment.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

My first experience this evening, flying LGW to Tirana. Flying economy for a change and booked in EE Row 12.

After around 15 minutes the team came round to take orders for hot food only (bacon rolls and focaccia). But of course people immediately wanted to order drinks and other stuff so a lot of time lost explaining that this was only the hot food run. But for those who did want hot food, they then had to take cc payment there and then, even when they also wanted other stuff as well (I guess in case they did a runner?).

When the general service started, it was painful. It took 75 minutes for them to eventually get to row 12, so 1.5 hours into a 2.5 hour flight, by which time people in the first few rows were already pressing their service buttons to get a second drink.

It appears this was the first time for this crew and I have some sympathy for them, but they were totally untrained in how to serve a cabin of paying customers.

I do hope it improves!

alainboy56
    Participant

@DavidSmith2 — And I hope this marketing cock-up is SHELVED!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=785899
    It took 75 minutes for them to eventually get to row 12, so 1.5 hours into a 2.5 hour flight, by which time people in the first few rows were already pressing their service buttons to get a second drink.
    [/quote]

From 20+ observations, when flying easyJet from Malta to Gatwick or Manchester, I’d expect it to take over an hour to get to the EE rows on an Airbus. Perhaps not 90 minutes, but 70 would not surprise me on a longish flight where people want something.

Out of interest, how many people did BA have running the service? easyJet would use 3-4.

I’m hopping down to Snowrow in a couple of hours and will post my experience of a short hop, to compare to yours. On my last domestic (back to MAN) they didn’t complete the (free) service and missed a couple of rows, so it will be interesting to see if the demand is lower, when F&B must be purchased.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

On Swiss in economy you get a free sandwich and a drink. The choice is ham or cheese in an oversized bridge roll wrapped in a paper bag (not plastic so recyclable). Keeps everyone happy and can’t cost Swiss much more than 1.50 francs.

Why don’t BA add a pound to the fare, which no one would notice, and do the same, keeping all their passengers happy?

Or am I being too simplistic?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I don’t understand why there is a need for any service on flights of less than 1 hour.. Hand out a goodie box on boarding…

MrMichael
    Participant

@MartynSinclair. Egyptair used to do that on domestic flights, don’t know if they still do. Orange juice in a small carton a filled roll and a biscuit, given to you at the gate. Never got a Ham roll though!!!!!

esselle
    Participant

There is way too much choice on the menu, which means;

1. They will only be able to carry a small number of each item.
    2. The above will mean pax risk not being able to get their first choice.
    3. Pax who cannot get their first choice will have to try ordering something else, taking up more of everybody’s time.
    4. Pax inbound to UK will get even less choice as BA will not be able to load from out stations.

Omnishambles in the making……..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

@MartynSinclair That’s what Air France used to hand out to Eurobudget passengers back in the early 1980s when they walked onboard the aircraft. (The time when business class was launched within Europe). Many complaints from passengers.

Travellator
    Participant

Martyn

These arent just 1 hour hops but could be say LGW / AGP abou two and a half hours, wont be much left for the inbound.

Bag of crisps and a coffee or a wine was always well received on domestic flights.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 346 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls