British Airways to start selling Marks and Spencer's sandwiches on board

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 346 total)

• Stowage222
    Participant

Yes, canucklad, I remember taking a domestic American Eagle flight some years ago. The welcoming PA went something like this: “Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome on board. You are not allowed to consume your own alcohol blah blah….” No messing there then!

PhilipHart
    Participant

Anyone have a BA BOB experience to report yet?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=785514]Anyone have a BA BOB experience to report yet?

[/quote]

I’ve got a domestic Friday morning, so I’ll post on how the service goes after that, though I am not going to buy anything.

I will be taking coffee in the lounge and will grab a bacon sarnie from the Escape lounge, too, before flying.

Then I’ll have some more at the BA lounge in T3.

Switzerlanding
    Participant

I wonder if they’ll need your passport as ID when buying with a credit card 😉 That’s the case with even the smallest duty free purchase on-board with BA.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s early days … but on these early morning Brussels flights today only a very few economy passengers opted for BOB, reports The Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-first-flight-charging-food-and-drink-marks-and-spencer-m-and-s-onboard-menu-short-a7521331.html

Steptoe
    Participant

Flew back from AMS this morning.
    Not very much uptake on the food and drink at all.
    Had a look through the menu book and IMO there is too much selection, must be at least 8 pages of food and drink. I would image this will be reduced in time.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@AMcWhirter @Steptoe, that seems pretty consistent with the view of the BA CC I talked with at the time of the announcement (and which I previously posted on this forum).

PhilipHart
    Participant

@Switzerlanding, I have been using Norwegian to fly between LGW & PMI during the winter months – because BA drops LHR-PMI during that period – and they just swipe ones card for purchases; not even requiring ones PIN.

Mind you my max spend has never crept much above €15, and their “floor limit” is probably much higher.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I think that the regulations concerning drinking alcohol that you bring on board are ICAO regulations and state that “only alcohol served by a crew member” can be consumed on board. This is arguably logical as inebriated passengers are probably a safety hazard.

If you fly TAP they announce that consumption of alcohol is controlled by Portuguese Law, although it seems that this only applies to TAP flights as no other airline that I have flown in to, or out of, Portugal announces this. Some Portuguese airlines, such as SATA often ban all alcohol, like domestic flights in China.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@FaroFlyer It could well be that this rule can only be applied within Portuguese airspace.

Many many moons ago, I was part of startup called SkyDoc, whose purpose was to provide doctors for long-haul flight operators. One of the key issues we had to resolve was the legal standing of the medics within different airspace/jurisdictions.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=785601]I think that the regulations concerning drinking alcohol that you bring on board are ICAO regulations and state that “only alcohol served by a crew member” can be consumed on board. This is arguably logical as inebriated passengers are probably a safety hazard.

[/quote]

Would you be able to provide a link to this regulation?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Sorry, FDOS. No link. I learned this by listening to flight attendants who were actually reading the script, rather than giving their abridged version, often when English is their second language. I then asked the question.

I also heard about this from some rich friends who had decided that First Class wines were not good enough so took their own on board. The same crowd also used to buy a complete cooked ham from Harrods and have it carved for them, in the days when you were allowed sharp knives:-)

Am I correct in thinking that RFerguson is crew? If so he / she may have an insight.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

FDOS, after my last post I trawled a little and found this link https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/safety/Documents/Guidance-Safe-Service-Alcohol-onBoard.pdf

Probably doesn’t help much. I fell asleep after 7 pages.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

What happens in the case of Royal Brunei, I wonder ?

Officially it’s a dry airline. But in previous years readers have said that passengers are allowed to bring their own alcoholic drinks on board.

Passengers are allowed to discreetly consume their own alcohol on board at mealtimes. Cabin staff even provide glasses etc.

Not sure if this is still the case.

Travellator
    Participant

Back on topic – What happens to all the unsold food at the end of the day, is it shipped off aircraft, stored in fridge and reloaded next day – how many days can this go on for ?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 346 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls