British Airways to start selling Marks and Spencer's sandwiches on board

Back to Forum

This topic contains 345 replies, has 73 voices, and was last updated by  openfly 22 Mar 2017
at 18:28

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 347 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Thing is, what most people seem to forget is that an airline is not required at all to offer any form of food, refreshment etc. Their ” contract ” with you, through there ticket is to get,you to your destination, not to wine and dine you while doing it. Food etc on flights is just a thing to pass the time, eleviate the boredom etc, and not a given right. If you remember a while back when Gate Goumet were on strike, the airline offered nothing on flights, and was technically not required to compensate passengers ( they might of done as a PR stunt, but that was up to them ) Maybe one day someone needs to read the legal T and C’s of a flight ticket.

There may not be a contract but clearly BA feels a degree of responsibility which is why they are offering 1,000 Avios or free cancellation.

Beyond that I agree with esselle, it is all about how you position yourself.

MrMichael
    Participant

I did not know they were offering 1000 Avios. That seems a reasonable deal, looking at the Avios prices of BOB one is probably better off. Once again BA exceeds expectations.

ABBA (Absolutely Brilliant British Airways)

icenspice
    Participant

I’m not sure if this is relevant to the thread. Anyhow, I was browsing ba.com for the first time in ages over the weekend for LUX-LHR flights.

Is it just me or have Club Europe fares been slashed ?

Btw, I was looking at dates in November, long before BOB is introduced.

Reeferman
    Participant

I wouldn’t get too excited about BA’s offer of 1,000 Avios. BA told me that, despite completing on-line forms for all my affected flights, its “policy” was to award only 1,000 Avios per passenger – regardless of how many flights that passenger has booked.
    I asked them to explain the logic of that – only to be told it was “policy”!!

I presume it’s possible to cancel any number of flights though – which makes its 1,000 Avios “policy” even more strange, in my view.

MrMichael
    Participant

@reeferman, that does seem odd, surely it should be 1000 Avios per sector flown. I really don’t see how BA can realistic expect those with multiple bookings to accept that. In effect they seem to be penalising those showing some loyalty to BA who have booked multiple sectors.

TCSH11
    Participant

Thing is, what most people seem to forget is that an airline is not required at all to offer any form of food, refreshment etc. Their ” contract ” with you, through there ticket is to get,you to your destination, not to wine and dine you while doing it. Food etc on flights is just a thing to pass the time, eleviate the boredom etc, and not a given right. If you remember a while back when Gate Goumet were on strike, the airline offered nothing on flights, and was technically not required to compensate passengers ( they might of done as a PR stunt, but that was up to them ) Maybe one day someone needs to read the legal T and C’s of a flight ticket.

Your assumption is wrong, there are more than one remedy routes, if the customer can be bothered (and many will not).

T&Cs are not the law.

They may not be law, but they are all a company has to stick to, and by paying your fare you agree to their terms ….

As for calling themselves a Full Service airline, Longhaul club/First/club Europe/Domestics are so do they need to change the title of an airline or what they offer just because of one cabin.

Reeferman
    Participant

@ MrMichael
    I agree entirely. I made these very points to BA when the called me to “discuss” my claims. The guy on the phone seemed absolutely unable to grasp the point – but I guess he was just following the script.
    I’m also a Gold for Life member – not that it should matter in this case (as it should be based on flights booked). So much for loyalty past or future!
    I was asked to get back to them with the flights I wanted to cancel (there were a few for various reasons) and they’d revert. I haven’t heard-back yet – and don’t yet have any miles credited to my account either.
    Will see if they stick to their guns (I’m not holding my breath)!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Your assumption is wrong, there are more than one remedy routes, if the customer can be bothered (and many will not).

T&Cs are not the law.

They may not be law, but they are all a company has to stick to, and by paying your fare you agree to their terms ….

As for calling themselves a Full Service airline, Longhaul club/First/club Europe/Domestics are so do they need to change the title of an airline or what they offer just because of one cabin.

I should stop digging the hole, if I were you.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I wouldn’t get too excited about BA’s offer of 1,000 Avios. BA told me that, despite completing on-line forms for all my affected flights, its “policy” was to award only 1,000 Avios per passenger – regardless of how many flights that passenger has booked.
    I asked them to explain the logic of that – only to be told it was “policy”!!

I presume it’s possible to cancel any number of flights though – which makes its 1,000 Avios “policy” even more strange, in my view.

That is peverse.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

On the whole contract / Ts & Cs issue… The lawyer’s view (not to be construed as legal advice, usual disclaimers, blah blah blah!!):

What appears on the website is no more part of the contract than the contents of an advertisement – because that is all the website (at least, the part of it that talks about services on board) is – an advertisement.

The terms of the contract will be BA’s Conditions of Carriage, and anything appearing in the actual ticket issued (nowadays, usually electronically), and in all likelihood nothing else.

The legal effect of the promises in the website is that they are “representations” made by BA in order to induce customers to enter into a contract. If such a representation is in relation to a matter of fact or of law (but not of intention) and is false (a misrepresentation), and the counterparty relies on it when entering into the contract (that is to say, would not have entered into the contract if it knew that the representation was false), then the counterparty may have a remedy in tort (but not in contract).

Without going into too much detail, there are three different types of misrepresentation – fraudulent, negligent, and innocent, and remedies vary accordingly.

I suspect that in these circumstances BA would first argue that the misrepresentation was only as to their intention and is therefore not a misrepresentation as to fact or law. If that failed, they would probably argue that the misrepresentation was “innocent” in that they believed that it was true at the time they made it – the only remedy for innocent misrepresentation is “rescission” – that is to say, putting the parties back in the same position they would have been in if the contract had never been made. In this context, that would mean cancelling the contract with no penalties on either side. This remedy will be lost if the counterparty “affirms” the contract – gives some sort of indication that the contract will continue, which would include agreeing to any form of compensation or other remedy.

There might also be remedies under consumer law – but that really isn’t my field. Those aside, however, I suspect it would be pretty hard to make any substantive compensation claim against BA on legal grounds, although of course the moral grounds would be rather stronger.

esselle
    Participant

And then who in their right mind would go to law to recover the cost of a cuppa and a sandwich……..?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@eselle… you really need to ask??

FDOS_UK
    Participant

And then who in their right mind would go to law to recover the cost of a cuppa and a sandwich……..?

Essele

Quite – on the other hand, what about passengers travelling in First class who received only minimal catering on a 11 hour flight? They might perceive the lost value as being high enough to justify a small claims action. TCSH11 is saying that it’s a case of ‘tough’, whilst I believe that a pragmatic judge may well take a different view.

Wai Wah
    Participant

You bet! May be an ASDA 24-hour!

JohnHarper
    Participant

I still think that within the year there will be BoB on BA long haul in economy and choose from a range of M&S ready meals in the other classes in advance of your flight so that the loading is perfect. In ‘first’ it will be slopped onto a plate for you once burned and in ‘club world/europe’ it will be slopped into a bowl once cremated.

BA – not like other airlines.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 347 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller June 2019 edition
Business Traveller June 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls