British Airways Strike (my claim)

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• barnacles
    Participant

By way of comparison, my recent BA flt HKG-LHR was delayed by over 24 hours, due to a ‘technical’ issue. After check-in I was immediately (once the delay was confirmed) offered £200 for a hotel, £25 for meals, £50 for transport, and £25 for WIFI etc use. The claim form also asked me if I should like to claim the additional, statutory EU amount of €600. An expensive A-380 experience for the airline. My claim is currently being ‘processed’. However this was a single sector flt with no ‘complicated’ add-ons.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=971801][/postquote]

Indeed it is expensive, unfortunately the airlines brought EC261 on themselves though. If they had treated customers fairly on a voluntary basis then there would have been no need for legislation.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=971378][/postquote]

My flight / claim is not covered by EC261 as BA gave 2 weeks notice. It was Grand Prix weekend, hence the cost of the rooms was / is what it was / is. Regardless to that, I find it interesting that many deem it ok that an airline muck up the travel plans of the customer then said customer is forced to bear the cost. I thought this forum was for the benefit of the traveler so thought I’d share my experience for anyone else in the same position, not to have my choice of hotel and lavish room choices questioned. 🙂

I’m amused that several of you have rushed to the defense of British Airways when they engineered the whole cock-up by themselves, always interesting reading the replies on this group.

Anyway, £250.00 better off in some eyes, or £200.00 out of pocket in others.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=971841][/postquote]

Firstly it IS covered by EC261. The only part of the regulations that doesn’t apply is cash compensation.

Secondly the requirement is for BA to provide accommodation and food. The £200 cap is not enforceable – if you have evidence that the going rate for hotel rooms was higher (e.g. screenprints) then it is your perogative to go to CEDR. Of course be ready for BA to make a counter argument along the lines of ‘we would have provided a hotel room ourselves’ so I don’t think you are on strong ground.

Personally I’m not questioning your choice of hotel room, but your choice and what BA is legally required to pay for may not be the same thing.

You do seem to have had your fair share of issues with BA, in many ways I’m surprised you haven’t found an alternative.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Polly
    Participant

Think that’s his plan!

evelyn
    Participant

Our flights were cancelled in early sept strike. Hotel paid by BA but they insist max of £25 per day pp to cover all meals which I think is very mean, even tho I had receipts.
    How did you manage to get the extra avios?

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I got a rather nice personal call from BA Customer Services. TBA managed to bugger our homeward flight (10 September strike) as well as the outward one (A380 went tech).

Anyway, a lot of (sounded) sincere apologies, EU261 being expedited for the delay, voucher to cove the hotel we had to grab in JNB and 10,000 Avios each.

I did feel a lot happier towards BA – not just the compo but the way it was delivered – although I’d rather not have had the hassle in the first place.

Mrs Tired Old Hack and myself are using the EU261 and Avios to spend New Year in Chicago. Flying BA.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls