British Airways safety compromise

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Anonymous

JeffD
    Participant

It is interesting to read the tread about the preflight safety briefing. Until recently I sat on the fence about the relevance, but following an incident recently I do not think they are essential before every flight especially when the wrong information is presented to the passengers.

On the 29th February I was travelling on the BA1371 from Manchester to Heathrow. The aircraft used on this flight as an Airbus 321. The Cabin Crew used a video based safety briefing. The video shown depicted a Airbus 320. Those familiar with the 2 aircraft types will appreciate that the emergency exits are positioned away from the wing and are operated differently on the A321. I pointed this out to one of Cabin Crew and all credit to her she informed the customer services Manager on the flight. The response back was to tell the passenger the safety equipment on this aircraft is identical to the video shown and not to worry. So basically a pack of lies from a CSM who obviously did not care about the safety of the passengers and crew on board.

I raised a formal complaint with BA asking why she had a lied about the safety procedures on the aircraft. I have met a wall of silence according to the customer services team this will be dealt with internally and no feedback can be given.

I am really concerned about the complacent attitude of this senior member of cabin crew. What is the point of the safety briefing the cabin crew can not be bothered to ensure the correct information is given to the passengers.

openfly
    Participant

Tell this to the CAA!

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting to see on FT that today’s Gatwick – Kingston flight had to be deplaned after everyone had boarded. The aircraft had just returned from maintenance and according to the pilot it was discovered at the last minute that someone who worked on the plane had an expired maintenance license.

Passengers delayed 24 hours, off to a hotel and EU261 all round (that is if BA remembers it’s duty to advise passengers of their rights).

747foreverforus
    Participant

I experienced a similar incident aboard a BA flight to Buenos Aires last November, travelling on a 777 aircraft, when the video played was for a 747, to make matters worse, the crew member in the front of the club cabin thought it was quite amusing and chatted to a passenger throughout the briefing. I spoke with the CSD who made the excuse that he had only joined the flight minutes before departure as he had been on standby, and hadn’t checked the system himself. He admitted that playing the wrong briefing was an issue, and apologised. As I was still unhappy, I asked to speak with the Captain, who again was very apologetic and said that he would file the necessary report – as yet I have heard nothing from BA

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I’m confused.

Don’t 777s, for example, have only 777 specific briefings loaded onto the aircraft?

Why would a 747 briefing be loaded onto a 777 in the first place?

JeffD
    Participant

@openfly

Just been done thanks for the advice

openfly
    Participant

@JD

Good move!

JeffD
    Participant

@Alex_fly

For the same reason on the flight I highlighted multiple aircraft types must be loaded onto the replay system relying on the cabin crew to select the appropriate flight briefing, I may stand to be corrected on this but it’s the only explanation I can think of.

JeffD
    Participant

@openfly

Thanks

747foreverforus
    Participant

@Alex_fly
    I was told by the CSD that they had to select the briefing for aircraft

Stowage222
    Participant

Yes, that’s correct 747 – all a/c types are loaded onto the IFE system as well as the various languages used at the bottom of the screen. If the wrong briefing is played you’ll find in most (should be all) cases the briefing will be replayed using the correct a/c type.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1 – 09/03/2016 19:57 GMT

That is very concerning to me, not because of the engineer’s certificate being out of date, but because there should have been a monitoring system in place that detected it and prevented this happening.

That makes it, in my view, a systematic breakdown and that is not good.

canucklad
    Participant

One word……Sloppy !!
    Reminds me of …….
    Why 99.9% Is Not Good Enough!

-12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.
    -114,500 mismatched pairs of shoes will be shipped per year.
    -18,322 items of mail will be mishandled per hour.
    -The Inland Revenue would lose 2 million documents this year.
    -2.5 million books would be shipped with the wrong covers.
    -315 entries in the Collins dictionary would be misspelled.
    -20.000 doctors’ prescriptions would be wrongly prescribed per year.
    -880,000 credit cards in circulation would turn out to have the wrong -card holder details on the magnetic strip.
    -5.5 million cans of soft drinks produced would be flat.
    -291 pacemaker operations would be performed incorrectly.

Sloppy = not caring !

MrMichael
    Participant

Dead right Canucklad. One of my clients wanted to put in ANPR in his car parks to reduce staffing levels. He was impressed by the 97% reliability of such equipment in reading a number plate accurately. When I pointed that if those figures were achieved he would only have about 60 problems to sort out each day, for him about 6 an hour or one every ten minutes. He dropped the idea.

I too am shocked at the above from BA, sloppy and dangerous. Hope the CAA take action to make BA change its procedures to prevent it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls